The mkiv Supra Owners Club

fitting clear lenses

jackso11

From an engineer hey!!!?! Hmmm, wonder how the f%ck I managed to design and manufacture all these lenses then??? And how are they still on my car 5 years after developing them??? Suprattgaz BEng Hons

Really? Do the maths then :p

I'm sure toyota will be interested in your sealant vs countersunk self tapper findings. :D

Screws over no screws is always going to make things stronger as long as your not weakening the structure by drilling the holes, They are bonded to create a seal and the screws pull it all in to ensure a good weather tight seal. So long as its done properly there should be no lips for the airflow to grab hold of so in theory they should never fly off.

Trust me im an engineer :D

Screws over no screws is always going to make things stronger as long as your not weakening the structure by drilling the holes, They are bonded to create a seal and the screws pull it all in to ensure a good weather tight seal. So long as its done properly there should be no lips for the airflow to grab hold of so in theory they should never fly off.

Trust me im an engineer :D

I agree, but if you bond the lenses correctly and properly seal them there is no need for screws. The argument is simply the necessity of the screws vs not needing them.

They aren't needed if you use a decent epoxy and then a bit of silicone selant (bought from B&Q) round the inner edge. There is no way that the lenses would ever come apart. Adding in the screws adds hassle, takes away from the look and will also cause fatigue at the areas where the screws have been added (right at the edge of a perspex lens on both sides... think about it ).

Which is best... IMO no screws for the above reasons. This is the debate ;)

PS. I slept with an engineer :D

Its tricky to get the lenses to mate up with the old ones you have to cut yourself, and for that reason the screws are there to make sure it all pulls up properly and not leaving areas of excess sealant to fill gaps.

either way it doesn't really matter, just so long as you get a good bond with whatever it is you use.

Its tricky to get the lenses to mate up with the old ones you have to cut yourself, and for that reason the screws are there to make sure it all pulls up properly and not leaving areas of excess sealant to fill gaps.

either way it doesn't really matter, just so long as you get a good bond with whatever it is you use.

I guess the tools and the talent went a long way for me ;)