The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tie rod end ball joints

Steve Cargill

I think my tie rod end ball joints may be worn.  I've still not tracked down the creaking that started at Christmas - tightned up everything I could find.

One of the caliper pins' gaitors was split and the pin was almose siezed, so I've got new gaiters on order and will rebuild that and grease it this weekend.

I've got a very slight vagueness in the steering, sometimes feeling a bit floaty after going over undulating roads, and when the car is off, if I turn the steering wheel and release it I get a slight klonk from from the front somewhere (not an easy one man job to listen under the front whilst turning the wheel!!)

When I change the gaitors I'll have a look.

1) To test, should I try to lever the tie rod up away from the wheel hub and if there is ANY movement then it's worn.

2) Should the car be on the ground or jacked up

3) If they need replacing, will I be able to remove the tie rod end from the hub without the 'tool', a soft mallet???

4) I checked the wheel bearings and I can't detect any rocking in them and they run quietly.

Guest Mycroft

Japspec with creaking shockers, all Japspecs have this it is just lack of use and nothing to worry about, the guide within the shocker unit 'dries out' and the noise is the seal travelling on the shaft, get in under the rubber gaitor and spray some nice white Lithium grease about and after a few days the noise goes away until the next winter when the cold causes it to happen again!

The rest is; 1, a little movement is OK. 2, jack the car up. 3, No. 4, Good.

Guest Mycroft

I'll explain more fully; as the seal dries out  over time it leaves little bits of 'detritus' behind on the shaft and this dries out and promotes firther drying, as they dry the residue that isleft behind will be slightly rough and that is the sound, so you can use the grease and then it will loosen and soften this material, with regular driving you will find for the most part the extent of suspension travel is quite limited and the detritus is scuffed up the shaft and only when the suspension is driven up further than normal will it make a sound, then as it returns alittle of this stuff is dragged down and it seems to 'graunch' more often, then after a few days goes away again.