The mkiv Supra Owners Club

help needed fitting boost gauge

MONKEYmark

hi

just got a hks electronic boost gauge off justin. hks 60mm with white face peak hold,warning,and playback.

it looks quality,where abouts do you plug the t peice is it under the rocker cover,is there any help files or FAQ`s

have been on hks site and got some english instructions.just dont want to be cutting into a wrong pipe, have a basic idea how to connect up all the cables can only go in 1 way,just the bare wires that plug into lighting cables,will get dad to help with,he is good with electrics,i want to learn how to do stuff myself though.

i sort of know a bit of how it works.with it been electronic it has a small round thing that must convert the pressure into an electonic signal that the gauge can read.i would go on mk4.com but the site is down ?

is there any help files or pics how to do it.also whats the difference between electronic gauges to mechanical gauges,only thing i can see is the mechanical has the vacum pipe into back of gauge.is it better to get mechanical gauges.they are a lot more money,are they worth it?

next on list is hks EGT guage.blitz have stopped making them,

does anyone have a pic of the passenger airbag 3 pod mounting kit,would that be too far from view or would i be better off with a pillar mount for boost gauge and egt gauge

any help and advice would be great

thanks in advance

mark

leeds

ps i have looked through 25 of the technical pages and found no topics for fitting a boost guage

(Edited by MONKEYmark at 11:37 pm on Mar. 7, 2002)

This is a bit difficult to describe, and I havent got my camera with me. If you look between the rocker cover and the intake, there is a pipe going into the left hand side of the intake the same distance towards the back of the engine as the oil dipstick is on the right hand side. This is where mine is plumbed in.

Instead of cutting the stock pipework, you should simply cut a 1" length from the end of the pipe you got with the guage and fit the tee piece in to the end of the guage pipe, and the 1" section. Then unplug the stock pipe going into the intake, replace with the 1" end, and plug the stock pipe back into the tee piece.   All done, and no stock pipes cut.

As far as where to put the guages, I have mine in an A Pillar pod, and so they are always within line of site. If the boost or EGT warning lights were to come on, I would spot them immediately and jump off the throttle. If they were in the passenger airback location I may not spot them so easily!

Electronic guages give you more bells and whistles than mechanicals, but I bought electronic ones because wires are easier to route behind the dash than vacuum pipes, and they had a warning light function, simple as that.

thanks lads for the help will have a look in morning when i am cleaning the car,i would like it in a pillar pod so i can keep an eye on it too.it is a good idea to tap into the end of the boost gauge in my supra so i can keep pipes in order.the stock boost controller is useless - or + thats it.just curious to see what boost i am pushing.

the new boost controller has a small filter too.its a 60mm gauge so wont fit where my stock boost gauge is in car.i will mount it on dashboard as a temp measure till i find a good pillar pod,anyone know of any or a price.will have a look tommorow

thanks again