The mkiv Supra Owners Club

tailgate gas struts

peter richards

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Yipee, got my struts back today, hope to have them fitted this week.

Have to say the people at MS Engineering were great:thumbs:

Glad to hear it Barney. I'm sure you'll be well chuffed with them once they're fitted! :D

Well, have to give Kev (Bristol Boy) a big "thank you" for fitting my new struts in the freezing cold yesterday evening. What are they like?.........bloody brilliant, thanks Peter for setting this up, and again to Kev for his time and help :thumbs:

Well, have to give Kev (Bristol Boy) a big "thank you" for fitting my new struts in the freezing cold yesterday evening. What are they like?.........bloody brilliant, thanks Peter for setting this up, and again to Kev for his time and help :thumbs:

Your welcome Barney. Like you said a big thank you to Peter for setting this up! Glad your as happy as me with the new struts. They really do make such a difference.

hi db do you think the tailgate is of similar weight , measure the struts on the aristo , make a comparison then to the supra ones .

if they are quite a bit different in length for instance then obviously theyre not going to work .

you can call and speak to mike see if he can suggest anything

the front and boot ones are apparently the same size as each other but I don't know if they are the same size as the supra ones. I've just been and measured them and they are about a foot long on each part ie fescallised portion is a foot long ish and so is the gas section. Bonnet is fairly heavy and the boot because of leverage is probably similar in weight.

• 7 months later...
Are the struts higher pressure than the original toyota ones, or just refurbed to work properly. I suffer the 'veilside wing/tailgate landing on the back of the head' problem. Although it seems to be working fine in the hot weather at the moment.

Mate - its so nice to know that there is someone else in the world like me lol

I have a nice blue "stick" with tasteful black electrical tape on the end to wedge under the blind clip and lower boot. It really is mutts and may get it chromed.

or just get decent struts.

*waits for someone to quote above line and edit out the "struts " and insert "rear spoiler" * :spank:

Shaun.

• 3 months later...

Just put rear struts in what a differance thanks to guys at MS.Lift up 4 inches and opens the rest of the way on its own(with big spoiler),now i have to pull hard to close the boot,but my wife can use the boot now so no more bitchin or screams of pain when shopping from her:)

much stronger than i thought they would be great work,took 5 weeks from posting untill returned date,but worth the wait.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest mattsupra

yer i need some for mine as it sounds a common thing with wear n tear being used so often

getting sick of having my head holding the boot open when im doing things like sorting out my install ive now got my rear cover pushed up against the boot

matt

• 3 months later...
:thumbs: hello, my new struts were fitted saturday, and are working great , tailgate lifts smoothly on its own .

the company who ive been working with are now happy to provide new struts to members.

the price of the struts is £89.30, including vat and p+p back to you.

you will however have to take your old ones off and send them to the company as they need the ends for re fabrication , it was the easyiest way around fixing .

the company is M S engineering,

5 the graylins,

bedford,

mk 41 9bh phone 01234 772255 ask for mike

thanks peter :thanks:

I have ordered today old ones will be in the post next week :D

Price has shot up to a massive £92.80 OMG :blink:

They were verry helpfull on the phone and i'm looking forward to receving the new ones. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Thought I would bring this thread back to the top, as I noticed a few people asking about new boot struts.

I've had mine fitted for just over 4 years now, and they are just as good now, as when I first fitted them :thumbs:

Likewise, a vast improvement.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.