The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Caliper pins - what grease

Steve Cargill

One of the sliding caliper pins on my J spec front brakes was almost siezed and the rubber gaiter was split.  I'm going to order the gaters tomorrow, but what grease should I use in the pins - Is it Copper Brake Grease?  Any specific recomendations?

I loosened the pin so it now moves relatively easily, took the car out and the brakes are totally different.  They always stopped the car OK, but never had a decent bite, now they are really sharp and it takes MUCH less pedal pressure, I'd guess less than half the travel it used to be. :)

The caliper kit is 38 quid for J spec ( I looked at that a month or so ago when I changed tha pads), I'm not sure if that is just for the calipers or if it includes rubbers for the pins.  I don't really have too much free time at the moment and need the car daily, so I'm loathed to do anything that may leave me stuck...

One thought I did have was to buy a second had set of calipers, do a proper recon and paint job then sell mine afterwards.

The calipers seem to be held together by strange bolts, a bit like a bloated torx driver - are they the ones you remove to split the caliper (do you need to do that, or just pop the pistons out and clean it like that) and if so how do you do it?

(Edited by Steve Cargill at 6:20 pm on Feb. 24, 2002)

Guest Mycroft

Steve, the grease you need is Lithium Glycol (LSPG).

The kit (I think) contains only the bbots and the old ones are pried off with a screwdriver and the new ones are fixed with a 19mm socket placed over them, then offered up to the caliper body and tapped into place.

It can be done in about 2hrs if you are really slow, the caliper removal and pad replacement front or rear (both sides) takes me 40mins max from start to finish, and it really is less 'involved' than that.

Get the grease, 14mm spanner, 16mm spanner, 19mm socket, a 16oz Hammer, some copper ease (you are going to lubricate all the sliding surfaces while you are about it, aren't you.)

Start on Saturday morning and you will be able to drive to your nearest Smeg-donalds for lunch.

• 2 weeks later...
Quote: from Mycroft on 10:52 pm on Feb. 24, 2002[br]Steve, the grease you need is Lithium Glycol (LSPG).

I've just been out to collect the parts and tried to get the grease.  No one has ever heard of it, one garage said they use Copper Ease on the pins - It looked like one of the pins had copper grease on it.

Any help please?

Guest Mycroft

Copper- ease, I cant find my tin at the moment so I don't know for certain if it is suitable, if a reputable garage says OK then fine.

I'd do it and just check them in a months time to ensure all is OK.