The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone insured with Elephant?

Kev.O

I would never drive around with undeclared EBCs, wheels, FMICs etc.

They are bleedin obvious!

They are the best excuse for an insurance company not to pay out, they LOVE it when people do it!

Well I think I said that you couldn't get away with wheels and similar obvious items. But an EBC is not an obvious item; small unit under the bonnet to unscrew and remove and a small system in the cabin is not a hard thing to remove if needed. Remember that an assessor will look at the vehicle and assess damage, he will not remove every item from it and then give his opinion. 9/10 an EBC hidden in the glovebox will not even be noticed if the under bonnet section is removed - the assessor will not be there to check every vacuum pipe is in the position that it should be.

Well I think I said that you couldn't get away with wheels and similar obvious items. But an EBC is not an obvious item; small unit under the bonnet to unscrew and remove and a small system in the cabin is not a hard thing to remove if needed.

Ah, I see what you mean.

I interpreted "EBC" as "electronic boost controller", which is usually 'in-yer-face' in the cabin. You probably mean a sneaky little thingie though, right?

I wouldn't lose sleep over something not obvious. It's airfilters, dump valves and wheels that catch their eye. Shiny bits. :woot:

Ah, I see what you mean.

I interpreted "EBC" as "electronic boost controller", which is usually 'in-yer-face' in the cabin. You probably mean a sneaky little thingie though, right?

I wouldn't lose sleep over something not obvious. It's airfilters, dump valves and wheels that catch their eye. Shiny bits. :woot:

Well I have an Profec E-01 but the installation means unless you actually looked for it, you would never see it - even the screen in the glove box.

Air Filter, Exhaust, brakes, harnesses and seats are declared on mine with loads of other stuff not, but the other stuff can be removed and/or hidden due to me being rather friendly with the local police salvage company.

My Lexus alloys were, apparently, an option on J Specs, so I got a reduction of £7 in my premium when I put them on. :ecstatic:

Personally I just declare everything to avoid the risk - every insurance company says 'If you don't declare something we aren't obliged to pay out'. I can't think of anything worse than smashing the thing to bits, waiting for the cheque, and then they say 'Sorry, you didn't declare that mod, we're not paying out a bean'.

I did hear of someone who wrote off their car but didn't get anything as he had changed the steering wheel. It didn't contribute one jot to the crash, but he hadn't declared it and the company was thus under no obligation to pay out.

I asked about a boost guage. The operator said that she'll note it down as a mod, though it isn't covered and the premium won't go up. Why note it down then. This just uses up the '6' mods allowed. I mentioned a boost controller but she said they couldn't insure me.

I just reduced my premium with Elephant by £30, by ADDING all of my undeclared mods, EBC, E-manage, Brembos, Seats, harnesses etc! All because I added my mother as a driver, they wanted an extra £84 for my dad with 20 years no claims, no driving convictions and who is a copper, yet my old dear is a useless driver, multiple claims, loads of accidents and 1 years no claims yet she reduced my premium by nearly £200!!

WTF is wrong with these people, they told me that it was because she was female that the quote went down!! Never seen my mum drive then have they!

Has anyone declared a FMIC to Elephant?

Yup. I explained that the old one was broken and a new one from Toyota was too expensive.... but I could get a replacement for half the cost, only trouble is it's a front mounted one.... although it doesn't actually ADD any power you know, it's just a more efficient unit ;)

Total premium increse = £0 :D

It's how you word it!

Has anyone upgraded their exhaust since starting a policy with elephant? If so how much did elephant up their premium?

Thanks in advance

Elephant increased my premium by about £40 after my de-cat (which just goes down as "modified exhaust", apparently, so I can modify the exhaust further to my heart's content without it costing me any more).

I keep meaning to phone SKY.

"Be smart, be creative, after all there is no such thing as absolute truth, just points of view. Try to make them see the world YOUR way."

I'm going to use this lol!!!

I respect the Truth more than most people.

It's a Scarce Resource and should be treated as such (i.e. used sparingly :thanku: )

Elephant increased my premium by about £40 after my de-cat (which just goes down as "modified exhaust", apparently, so I can modify the exhaust further to my heart's content without it costing me any more).

Hmmm, I feel another phone call coming on :D

Doesn't it just fill you with confidence to know that your car insurance company knows bugger all about cars? :help: