The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto Box fluid... Where do I shove it?

Bradb

Auto Box fluid... Where do I shove it?

Being Mr Plug and Play...

I just looked around the engine bay.. Can find every thing including the trans fluid gauge.. but where does the trans fluid go into and how much should I put in?

Cheers,

Guest Martin F

It goes down the trans fluid dipstick hole......honest.

Yes i know, bit silly isn't it. But it's better than having to crawl under the car like us manual owners have to.

Make sure the car is on a level ground and you use the correct set of markings on the dipstick for whether your car is warm or cold. This check is for some reason better done when the fluid is warm.

Then just feed in as much as required to bring the level up to maximum. It's worth checking the level in a couple of days time as well, just to see if there is any major change.

Guest Mycroft

This check must be done with the engine running after a goodish thrash and the car in 'N' after coming to a halt after the run, go right thru the 'box PRND2L-2DN and then check the levelafter taking the dipper out cleaning it leaving for a while to ensure you get a good reading.

Quote: from Mycroft on 9:46 pm on Mar. 9, 2002[br]This check must be done with the engine running after a goodish thrash and the car in 'N' after coming to a halt after the run, go right thru the 'box PRND2L-2DN and then check the levelafter taking the dipper out cleaning it leaving for a while to ensure you get a good reading.

Can anyone else confirm that the engine should be running while the reading is taken?

I go to all the positions above but always return to neutral before going to the next gear, just to ensure everything in the box is well coated with fluid.

Thank you for consulting the good book Martin.

The owner hand book does not refer to it at all, not something an owner is expected to do!!!!!!

On reflection this makes sense as you will get fluid drain back into the sump once the pumps are switched off.

(Edited by Phil Wall at 9:17 am on Mar. 10, 2002)

Guest Mycroft

Brad, the 'tone' of that posting worries me, did you run VERY low or am I reading too much into it.

Is your dipstick dry? (appologies to Frankie Howerd fans)

Did you have a mooch about under the car today?

Hiya M,

Its not dry.. I had a gander, I got it in the garage 2morrow re summat else. I'll get them to give it the once over. I think my problem lies with as you said previously the air pipe that connect the turbos. (Excuse lack of tech speak).

Guest Mycroft

Well that's a relief.

My DB7 was about as reliable as the Privatised Railways (come back British Rail, all is forgiven) and once decided to lose its Tranny fluid over (we guess) 2/3 days and on my usual Saturday 'wheels off sort out', found a dry dipper, made me feel sick.

That car broke my heart (every month almost) so pretty, a heartbreak at the slightest stutter.

If you are having a garage do the stuff then fine, but you maight consider them checking the IC for a restriction, qver time they can clog up and if you have never cleaned them out it would be good to take the opportunity.

DO NOT let the garage just do a visual inspection, if you can tell them to do the following, using workshop tools. (not the way I'll describe it for the DIY'ers out there)

Detach the piping as close to the turbos as poss. and as far up the other end as poss. (near the injectors) take your vacuum cleaner outside and attach 'blow' end to the hose nearest the turbos and SEAL the other end, get some strips of cloth about 2" wide and soak them in a solution of fairy liquid and water and wrap them around the joints, secure them fairly tight., switch on the vacuum cleaner and watch for bubbles! So even if you have a fault your neighbours children will think you are amazing and your car is really cool! It is a bit of a palaver as a party trick, but hey!

hi i want to change gearbox oil  have read on hear its not wise to empty out and fill up  seems strange

what oil do you use

also has anyone got oil or gearbox oil cooler

i have an auto j spec

are all top supercars like tvr  db7  ferrari`s   very unreliable

seem to hear a lot of tales of them breaking down a lot

i thought they would be bolted to gether so well

supra seems pretty strong and reliable