The mkiv Supra Owners Club

buying a supra not taxed..whats the consequences?

supra78669

You can drive a car with no tax if you have all the documents to get tax and can prove you are on your way to get it....basically you can't leave town in it.

No, regardless of whether or not you have documents/prove you are on your way to get tax, it is an offence to use a vehicle on the road without a tax disc. They expect you to use alternative transport to go, get the road tax...

"You’ll be committing an offence if you use or keep your vehicle on the public road without a current tax disc. If you can’t get a tax disc, you must remove your vehicle off the road."

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_069671

Also, IIRC it's a £60 fine or more if you have a valid disc and it's not displayed. I was unfortunate to be in this situation 3 years ago when I parked in the city centre and was unaware my tax disc had fallen off and landed in the passenger footwell :rolleyes: It was a PITA as I had to write 4 times to explain what happened but was all good in the end, they let me off :)

Edited by Supe (see edit history)

I got stopped on the way home once at 2am after being the designated driver for the evening. Stopped at 2am on the 1st of the month so effectivly my tax disc had expired. I told them I would be getting it in the morning and showed them the rest of my documents that were in the car and they were fine with that.

Guess that was different as it had just expired, I think if you explained the case and proved you were on your way to get it most police would be fine. They would have to be a real b@*tard to fine you in that situation. Its a risk though of course.

What's the policy with no M.O.T & Tax then?

You need one to get the other and that's the pickle I'm going to be in, in a couple of weeks time.

I rang the garage that are M.O.T'ing my car and they said just to drive it straight there.

Apparently as long as it's booked in it's fine, if I'm stopped en route I'm to tell the officer of my intentions that I am driving to the M.O.T station (where the car is booked in) and then plan on taxing it straight after...

Is this right?

Where are people getting the having no tax is an offence because it not, it a civil matter if you get caught with out tax and dvla can give you a fine, but if you buy the car on a saturday all you would have to do if you was reported to dvla for driving an untaxed car is tax it on the Monday and right a letter proving you had just purchased the car

but it simple to tax the car all you need is the new keeper suplement, mot certificate and proof of insurance at any post office or a dvla office which are open till half 5 mon to sat

One flaw if the bloke who currently owns the car has no insuance on the car he can not tax it and personally if I was that bloke I would not hassle insureing a car just to tax it when a buyer would have to insure it to drive away, making it alot easier for the buyer to tax the purchased vehicle

Put a deposit down on the car.

Get day insurance on it (40 quid) print out documents.

Go and collect car, drive to post office with insurance documents and tax it using the new keepers suppliment.

If it is not MOT'd then book an MOT near your house and drive it home (making sure you have your insurance documents on you)