The mkiv Supra Owners Club

J-spec auto box or Turbo problems...

Bradb

I've just come back from driving my car, Jap spec TT auto, its been feeling sluggish for a couple of days, If you put your foot down, it really doesn't bite like normal.

Could you guys tell me what the symptoms are of

1) Autobox failing and on way out

2) Turbo's failing and on way out

3) To replace autobox at dealership

4) To replace Turbo's at dealership

Thanks in advance, Brad

Guest Mycroft

You all drive 150mph+ cars, I assume in all that I post that you all check your 'fluids every Saturday morning!

Gawd help us if you don't!

Just been on a dual carrige way, there is no boost at all... The auto box change gears fine...

Is it likely the turbos have gone? Could it be something else?

If the turbo's have gone, what kinda cost can I expect to pay?

Guest Mycroft

This is for tomorrow and remember I don't know your cars too well, so jack the car up, take any undertarys (plastic) off and look at the route the compressed air takes (that is the air that goes to the Intercooler, you hopefully will find a pipe with a split or better still detached, as I said that bugger aft of the radiator is a prime candidate, if all is well there then take the drivers side wheel off and remove the wheel arch liner, it is a fiddle about and if you take digital photo of where all the different screws go it would be handy even if you do the right thing and have little boxes for each piece of kit. Once you've done all this check that the IC is connected to the compressors(and out again) this all assumes that you have done all the under bonnet checks for the same thing first.

(Edited by Mycroft at 9:38 pm on Mar. 9, 2002)

Guest Martin F
Quote: from Mycroft on 6:53 pm on Mar. 9, 2002[br]You all drive 150mph+ cars, I assume in all that I post that you all check your 'fluids every Saturday morning!

Gawd help us if you don't!

ASS-U-ME - Making an ass out of u and me.

Guest Mycroft

Because you haven't mention a screaming noise from them and you 've not mentioned billowing clouds of smoke from the exhaust, good clues them!

Guest Martin F
Quote: from Bradb on 9:48 pm on Mar. 9, 2002[br]Appreciate that.

Is the general consensus that I've a pipe prob, opposed to a turbo prob. What makes you think its not blown turbos?

It could be the turbo's but a hose blowing off is quite common on our cars.

Guest Mycroft

I'm sorry.....silly me...I did assume that driving such a fast car would confer a high degree of responsibility, such as doing that sort of thing.

Martin, may I suggest you start doing it then, it mght just save your life one day.

Guest Mycroft

Well so far today I've been told to F**k off and that I'm some kind of Ass, i have not sworn or been rude, I have used sarcasm instead, it is my only weapon against personal attacks short of resorting to the same insults as thrown at me,.

I'm off for a while.

See ya.

Guest Martin F
Quote: from Mycroft on 9:56 pm on Mar. 9, 2002[br]I'm sorry.....silly me...I did assume that driving such a fast car would confer a high degree of responsibility, such as doing that sort of thing.

Martin, may I suggest you start doing it then, it mght just save your life one day.

I never said that i didn't check these things.

Just that you can't assume somebody has checked something just because it seems obvious to you.

Try reading the posts :o

Guest Martin F

Quote: from Mycroft on 10:02 pm on Mar. 9, 2002[br]Well so far today I've been told to F**k off and that I'm some kind of Ash

Nuff said!

In an attempt to bring the topic back on track...

Check out all your piping, start with the big stuff down to the intercooler and back. Chances are one of these is off or split. If you cant see/feel anything wrong, get a cheapy boost guage from somewhere and plumb it in on a lengh of hose under the back of the bonnet and into the cabin. Go out for a run, and if the system stays in vacuum then you probably have turbo problems, if it goes up to 0psi and no more, then you probably have a hose off.

Once you have the problem sorted, get a good boost guage and fit it! The number of times I have blown an intercooler pipe off, and avert the normal heart attack when I suddenly have no boost because I can usually tell whether its a pipe off or not.

If the worst has happened and the turbos have gone (and mine did!) then talk to Leon about hybrids. Less than 2 grand all in I would expect.

Good Luck!

Quote: from Bradb on 9:51 am on Mar. 11, 2002[br]Thanks for that Lee.

What sort of life could you expect standard turbo's last. Rough mileage wise?

Ie; what was your mileage when yours went?

You shouldnt have asked that, you will just get depressed....

The life of ceramic turbos really do seem to be random. Some put up with huge amounts of boost and abuse, and just keep going, others fail at stock boost at 35000 miles - like mine :(

Anyway, if they have gone, invest in a set of hybrids, you will be poorer, but you will not be disappointed :)

After mine went, I invested in Boost+EGT guages first to check what was going on before I considered decatting etc.