The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Powerhouse Racing Street Turbo Kit for 1993-98 Supra TT - What's Your Thoughts?

gurnam

I'm still on stock cams and I don't think I'll change unless I get the "power bug" over the summer :) I'd like to clear 600 on the stock cams.

I can ID with that as I said the same thing, I did get better low down power with the stock cams but depends on what the car will be used for.

As mine is more track focused I found the restriction of the stock cams up top annoying and this was what made me change. I can say its worth the loss of the low down power because its simply pulls much stronger and hard from the mid range right up to the red line.

Its actually quite off putting at first and I need to get used to it as it gets to the red line so much faster. Before I would watch the revs as its comes on boost look up at the road and then look for the red line.

Now when im doing the same and looks back down from the road its already bouncing off the rev limiter :D

Interestingly, I was wondering what stock durations would be like with higher lift, any thoughts?

I'd like to see something like that. Off the top of my head I think the stock lift is ~7.8mm(I) and ~8.4mm(E) on a JDM motor? I believe that a lot of the aftermarket cams are up at 9mm+ without any interference issues so that's one barrier overcome.

Squeezing another mm or so into the stock J spec duration would mean the valve has to accelerate that bit faster during opening and closing and I'm not sure how much of an issue that would be on the stock springs without doing a quick bit of number crunching...

I'd really like to get some measurements for back pressure in the exhaust manifold to see how setups like OEM, BPU, cast single, tubular single all compare . Camshaft choice is a tricky affair if you want to minimize compromises throughout the rev range but I'm certain that the OEM J specs are not the best choice for a cast single setup running a decent (67mm+) sized turbo. Once I've got my new intercooler and exhaust fitted I'd like to do some cam timing experiments on the rollers with Ryan using my stock cams. Then I'd like to repeat this with a UK inlet cam as well as that would gain me a half mm or so of lift and a small increase in duration.

I can ID with that as I said the same thing, I did get better low down power with the stock cams but depends on what the car will be used for.

As mine is more track focused I found the restriction of the stock cams up top annoying and this was what made me change. I can say its worth the loss of the low down power because its simply pulls much stronger and hard from the mid range right up to the red line.

Its actually quite off putting at first and I need to get used to it as it gets to the red line so much faster. Before I would watch the revs as its comes on boost look up at the road and then look for the red line.

Now when im doing the same and looks back down from the road its already bouncing off the rev limiter :D

Mine is a road car - fullstop. It may get used on the occasional trackday but it would be very occasional. I have another car for trackwork but even that doesn't get used very often. I quite like the fact that the stock cams don't lead me into the limiter - they're kind of like a super soft rev limiter that makes you think about changing gear before you have to :) At the moment I rarely rev it over 6500 (or even 6000) when flat out as there's no need....remembering it is a road car. If that helps with my engine longevity then I am happy with that.

I can appreciate that on a track car you may as well make the torque as high in the rev range as possible and make use of the gearing - that is what it is there for. Also, keeping the torque down makes life a lot easier for the driveline.

The thing I like about mine is the part throttle repsonse and sub 2500rpm performance - in my mind that sort of tractability is essential on a road car that gets used often. On the track it would very rarely be needed so point taken.

Why would you buy that cast manifold kit and worry about making 550 bhp when BL do a kit for the same money with a tubular manifold and a 67 turbo, or im very impressed with Paul Whiffins new kit which when you take shipping and duty into account is the same or cheaper, we are fitting one of Pauls kits soon hopefully it looks the business.