The mkiv Supra Owners Club

wheel offsets

eyefi

im considering putting some 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 wheels on my sup. the offset on these wheels is 45mm. i know the stock offset is 50mm, what effect will this 5mm less offset have on my car? will the extra .5 inch width on the front have any effect? how much will the ride quality suffer with 18's as opposed to my current 17's.

im thinking of covering these wheels in 235/40/18 & 265/35/18 these keep the rolling radius nearly perfect. any other suggestions for tyre sizes?

does this wheel look like it will clrear UK brakes? http://www.marukanet.co.jp/wheel/vr5quest.html

ta

thanks mycroft, just the post i was hoping for. just a couple of questions...

When you go to select your next wheel, look also at the disk type, some wheel manufacturers produce 'lo'  'med' and 'hi' disk this determines whether or not the wheel hits the '4 pots' on your car

is the "disk type" the horizontal rim that the tyre sits on or the vertical spoke part that the hub attaches to? the trouble with the 4 pots is they skick out horizontally and foul on the spokes. the problem i have is i cant see the wheels until they arrive from japan all i have r a few pics. there r no manaray distributors locally.

Quote: from Mycroft on 12:14 pm on Mar. 1, 2002[br]Oh, they are lovely wheels, I imported a set earlier this year (chromes) and they were for a GS300. They look beautiful on the car, really gorgeous, the quality was very good.

TAKA KAIRA, have them on offer at the moment and they are easy for you to import!

Would you like me to find out if they are a straight fit for the Supra?

I'm a 'member' now, sounds slighltly rude, and I like that!

yeah, i noticed them on there, very good price, ive spoken with "jimmie" about them he says they have sold lots of these wheels and have had no reported problems with mkiv supras. mycroft would it b possible 4 u to take some measurements for me, on the wheels u got (do u still see the car?).

could u email me off list please.... ta

Quote: from Mycroft on 12:35 pm on Mar. 1, 2002[br]if you take off the front wheel and put a straight edge across its hub plate and then measure the distance from the edge to the spoke at the diameter where the 4 pots are at the widest, that number is the REALLY important bit!

yep, thats the measurement i meant

• 2 weeks later...
Quote: from Mycroft on 1:33 pm on Mar. 1, 2002[br]Well, if you arm yourself with that measurement, you can ask for that dim from any wheel manufacturer and they will oblige.

more help required im afraid, ive got the measurement (170mm out from hub center i need 48mm clearance to the back of the spoke), spoken to taka kaira and they say that they can not get this measurment, not even from the manufacturers (manaray). i can not find any contact details for manaray myself. there is no way im going to buy these wheels, wait 5 weeks for delivery only to find out they dont fit the brakes, which seems to be what taka kaira r suggesting.....

mycroft any other suggestions, do u have any good contacts at taka kaira?