The mkiv Supra Owners Club

lexus aristo 2jz vs mk4 supra mk4 2jz

Guest argy911

I came across mine by pure fluke. I had decided I was after a MkII Aristo and was visiting my brother (who buys/sells cars as a hobby) a couple of weeks later, and he'd just happened to have picked one up at auction!

Just to clarify from my experience of an Aristo (Mk1 not a mk2 that Snooze has) the autobox was as identical in operation to the auto TT supra I had previously ie fine :)

Fair play - I've never actually driven an auto Supra, so I can't really compare, and I'm really not an auto fan anyway - even the (so-called) "manual" mode (with semi-auto shift buttons on the wheel) doesn't do it for me - especially on a turbo car - it makes keeping the revs in the peak range through the twisties that much harder.

So I guess the downside is more that manual simply not being an option (without a conversion) is more of a downside than the autobox itself.....

The Mk1 Aristo brakes are exactly the same as the J-Spec Supra brakes. The Mk2 front brakes are the same, but the rears are different (opposed piston caliper and solid disc).

The brakes seriously scared me when I first drove the Aristo - more so than the Supra. With the relatively small weight difference, maybe it was the smoother ride that made them feel more lethargic?