The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Smallest width alloy on a big brake?

edinlexusV8

My point was that both websites have their own agenda, and both are calling for compulsory winter tyres.

We are a small, and totally unrepresentative, sample of British drivers, the overwhelming majority of whom won't have a second set of wheels and have no desire for one. To force them to keep, store and twice a year, change to a second set is unreasonable. Especially as we don't have the severe weather experienced in the countries that have legislated for them.

Tyres sold in this country are 'all-season' and, although a compromise, meet all the relevant safety standards in place here.

If you search this site, you will find a link to research that demonstrates that tyre width makes no difference to contact patch, it's purely down to mass and tyre pressure. All that happens with wider tyres is the patch changes shape. I can't remember the link but I found it from here. Deeper tread is only the case when new and all tyres will become illegale at the same depth ;)

Your comment about temperature is valid, however, tyres are designed to operate within quite a wide temperature band which is achieved in all but the most extreme circumstances.

I still maintain that the best way to be safe is to drive according to the conditions, we drive relatively powerful, RWD cars so a lighter throttle foot is essential when the conditions deteriorate. There's a huge body of research into risk compensation which suggests that any safety measures that are put in place are negated by us (as humans) taking greater risks. One such research subject has shown that since the advent of seat belts and airbags, we generally drive faster and brake later.

If swapping tyres makes you feel more comfortable, then do it. You will be a little more relaxed and therefore, a better driver. Don't, however, fall into the trap of thinking they will allow you to be a little more reckless.

Drive safe,

K.