The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lowering help, 19x10 inch rears

Rob Dublin

Firstly to clear up, the offset is ET30. Shocks are KYB's, don't think they're the adjustable ones, pic may prove me wrong. They have a product code on them, 551070 AF30K, will google it in a few.

Just check the individial corner arch gaps and they's big variances:

Front Drivers: 62mm

Front Passenger: 69mm

Rear Drivers: 82mm

Rear Passenger: 63mm

From this might it be possible to deduce that the front passenger and rear drivers side springs are incorrectly installed?

Mechanic mate of mine did them, he does know his stuff but human error is human error, might have been one of the lads working for him either. If it's a case that I need to remove the springs I might go ahead and get the lower springs, no point doing the work twice.

Mechanic mate of mine did them, he does know his stuff but human error is human error, might have been one of the lads working for him either. If it's a case that I need to remove the springs I might go ahead and get the lower springs, no point doing the work twice.

I would get it sized properly first so that you know what size springs to get. If you go ahead and get 40mm just now it might end up too low once on properly.

Just a thought though.

Good point. Getting more likely that I'm going to have to get a mechanic to look at it. Off to read the how to for swapping out shocks.

Its easy to do yourself when you are swapping a set out. Do you have spares to swap over? You will basically have to do the job twice if you do it on your own.

On a ramp you could get all 4 shocks out at the same time, sorted out in the right order and put back on.

It IS a straight forward job, at times it needs 2 people though... for a strong arm.

Nope, don't have spares but the how to is called swapping out or similar so that's what that meant. Have 2 axle stands, been looking for an excuse to get two more for ages.

Any tips on what should I be looking for to identify which spring goes where and in which direction?

Nope, don't have spares but the how to is called swapping out or similar so that's what that meant. Have 2 axle stands, been looking for an excuse to get two more for ages.

Any tips on what should I be looking for to identify which spring goes where and in which direction?

The fronts will most likely have more coils. Thats the way it is with the TT anyway. The front is really tightly wound at the top/bottom, the rear is a little more loose.

If you are going to do it all on axle stands i would suggest jacking up each corner and loosening everything off with the other 3 wheels on the ground first. It can take a fair bit of force to get some of the nuts loosened.

One important thing that your friend may not have thought of. When putting new suspension on you must put load onto each corner before tightening. If you dont, the rubbers will take some of the load of the car making it not sit right.... a bit like yours ;)

You MUST put load on each corner before tightening any of the wishbone mounts.