The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Supra Owner

Guest PJDubyaM

Guest PJDubyaM
so how do you find the performance of the na compared with the cooper s? thats the 1600 supercharged one right?

Blimey, that's a dangerous question for a Supra newcomer to answer.

First, I'll get the disclaimers out of the way: I drove the Cooper S for about six-and-a-half years (it was one of the first on the road), whereas so far I've had the Supra for a day-and-a-bit. With that in mind...

Power-wise, they're not that far off each other. The Cooper S kicked out about 160 BHP with a 1130kg kerb weight; my Supra's got about 225 BHP (I assume) with a 1600kg kerb weight. Both equate to around 140BHP/ton.

That said, the torque curves seem quite different. The Cooper S didn't have much until around 2500 RPM, whereupon you got a bit of a push that sustained until redline. The Supra's got a low-down kick (i.e. it feels much faster off the lights that the Mini), then a bit of a flattening out, and then a further shove where it really piles on the speed at around 4500 / 5000 RPM.

I'm still getting used to driving an auto, but I reckon that given more practice, I should be able to make use of the torque peaks in everyday driving.

The Mini had a very 'go kart'-like feel - it felt tenacious when driven hard, and you could feel the effort it was putting in. The Supra, on the other hand, seems much more grown up and relaxed - as you'd expect when comparing a hot hatch to a coupe / GT, I guess. It happily piles on speed (albeit in a rather subtle way) when blasting motorways. If I drove dogs, it'd be like I'd traded a Labrador puppy in for a mature Alsatian.

Haven't had much chance to do a B-road blast yet, but from what I've experienced, it seems as though the Supra's suspension can be unsettled in a way that the Cooper's couldn't.

All in all, though, I'm glad I made the change. I'm looking forward to getting more power out of the Supra, and getting around in a RWD car is a very different experience than a FWD one. There've been plenty of times where a broad grin has spread across my face without me thinking about it, so it must be doing something right...

Pete.