The mkiv Supra Owners Club

95 n/a stock rough idle

Guest bmxninja

Guest bmxninja

okay, i was planning on borrowing my coworkers 95 naturally aspirated supra for my wedding, but there are a couple problems, and i know very little about cars, aside from normal home maintenance (oil, brakes, filters, etc)

1. battery drains in 24 hours without running and the alternator doesnt keep it running after a jump

2. car starts fine, but idles rough and then stalls...but its fine if you give it even just a little bit of gas, it has been sitting for a year undriven, but it did this before it was parked, but wouldnt do it unless you had driven it for a couple miles, and then it would idle rough and stall and stoplights and such

its a completely stock car except for an exhaust tip and rims/tires with 83,000 miles on it

please help!!! i have waited years to drive her car

Guest bmxninja

thanks for the quick reply...

the battery was dead, so they put in a brand new one, then the next day, it was dead...they did not tighten down the terminals...could that have caused the battery drainage?

The battery is not holding the charge, get a new one. This may go a long way towards your tickover problem. If not, the starter motor may be in need of a refurb (quite cheap, can buy the kit and do it yourself although a PINTA to reach) or you splash out out on a new one.

It will need a full service as plugs could be fouled and oils not as fresh as they could be.

Hope your friend gets it sorted, sounds like a bit of basic maintenance and some TLC would probably sort it

thanks for the quick reply...

the battery was dead, so they put in a brand new one, then the next day, it was dead...they did not tighten down the terminals...could that have caused the battery drainage?

if the terminals are not tight it will not be able to provide enough power to start a car and could cause a rough idle, however if it now has a new battery I would look a plugs, distributor cap, old fuel and alternator, as said a full service would be my first port of call, this may solve the issue

Guest bmxninja

yes, it has a new battery, however, the new battery drained completely within 24 hours...it wont even take a charge, i can jump with my car, but as soon as i remove the jumper cables, the dash lights start flashing and dimming, then the car dies....

hopefully we will be able to do a full service to the car...new plugs, cap, alternator....wa also thinking fuel filter?

it only runs rough/stalls at idle....give it a little gas and it purrs beautifully

if you are running ok till the jump cables are taken off id bet the altinator is goosed, try a wee tip get a mallet and give the altinator a good few whacks (not too hard as you will break the casing but a good shot should see it charge again) the brushes will be jammed in the altinator, if you stall as soon as the cables are removed then the new battery fitted isnt charged properly, try a brand new one and if it runs ok for a bit then you defo have altinator probs

if you want give me a p.m with your number and ill call you and talk you through it

alex