The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How does a TVR chimaera compare to a BPU supra

miko_supra

Thanks for the post daston!

I've always preffered the look of the chimaera over the griff, and they are also seem to be cheaper, which is a bonus.

Im kinda worried about these rusty chasis i hear about. Someone on here bought a TVR and had someone to check it out for them (can't remember who it was) but how much does this cost?

Thanks for the post daston!

I've always preffered the look of the chimaera over the griff, and they are also seem to be cheaper, which is a bonus.

Im kinda worried about these rusty chasis i hear about. Someone on here bought a TVR and had someone to check it out for them (can't remember who it was) but how much does this cost?

The chasis will rust if not treated properly and waxoyled. My tuscan is 8 years old and has surface rust after just 20k miles! It will cost me £400 for the garage to take the body off and rub the whole chasis down spray and waxoyle. On the Chimera and Griff its the out riggers that can rot and you have to take the body off to have a look. It can be a DIY job as long as you have the space.

I used Rob Ingleby to check over my tuscan, he has been looking at TVR's for people for over 8 years, he either does a finding fee in that case he will do what Jurgan does and find a car in your budget, check it over and test drive it for you as well as negociate a price. Or you can just pay him to look at a car you have seen on pistonheads/auto trader.

His site is http://www.findasportscar.co.uk/

it was running fine they pop and bang like a good un, one of the reasons people buy them :) Getting the Tuscan decatted and that should spit flames on gear changes. Childish I know.

The AJP8 engine is actually quite a solid engine, better made than the Speed 6 engine and a lot of the problems have been fixed. Dot be put off by the Speed 6 the parts have come a long way over the 8 years and as long as its had a rebuild after 2003 then it should last as long as it is treated with respect (like dont go over 3000rpm unless oil temp it 70c+) and oil is checked after each run. The problem the speed 6 unit has is a lack of oil to the top end on start up and when idling hot. This of course causes the figure followers to ware more than normal and so they need replacing occationaly. Like most things you can buy upgrades. There are now cam covers with oil spraybars that spray oil onto the followers before start up as well as bigger oil pumps to deal with the low pressure. Racing Green has also just developed a new top end that uses buckets and not fingers, plus they have re done the oil ways.

Given the SP6 has a fundamental flaw it'll never be 'fixed'. It runs far too hot and with a rediculous compression ratio. Wilder are the only people I know who did destruction testing and made the things last a reputable amount of time, but at £15k it's a lot of money.

Given the SP6 has a fundamental flaw it'll never be 'fixed'. It runs far too hot and with a rediculous compression ratio. Wilder are the only people I know who did destruction testing and made the things last a reputable amount of time, but at £15k it's a lot of money.

The early ones had problems with the quality of parts but to say it will never be 'fixed' is a little bit of a strong statment especially as you have just said your self there are companies who are still doing work on them to impriove the design :p

The early ones had problems with the quality of parts but to say it will never be 'fixed' is a little bit of a strong statment especially as you have just said your self there are companies who are still doing work on them to impriove the design :p

Replace the design would be closer to the mark. New castings, lower compresion ratio, cooler running. Nothing on a wilder engine could go straight into yours.

Replace the design would be closer to the mark. New castings, lower compresion ratio, cooler running. Nothing on a wilder engine could go straight into yours.

That is true Wilder have pretty much rebuilt it from the ground up. However will be interesting to see if Racing Greens top end will at least help. My original point is they are a lot better than they used to be. However it is still I gamble

My dad had a chim 450, for 4 years, and I also got to drive it. this one seemed be be the odd ball, all he had to fix in 4 years was a brake light switch! That was the ONLY thing that went wrong with it, never leaked, never broke down.

Having driven that and my supe (pre-single), supe is quicker, and that was also the view of my dad too.