The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie from Greece

manolaq

Thanks!

I am not going to import the car, as I wrote before the tax for importing a supra is 30.000 euro (~22.000pounds) I'll keep UK plates...

You won't be able to insure a UK registered car in Greece. It will have to be registered and insured in the UK. That's a bit tricky because you need an address in the UK, obviously. Then you'll be able to drive the car in Greece but EU law says that you need local plates if the car stays longer than 6 or 3 months (can't remember) in the country. So you'll need to provide the police entry evidence every x months, like boat tickets etc. I know some guys in Greece who have number plates from other countries and police take them off so they have to go to the police station to take them back. Be careful :)

You won't be able to insure a UK registered car in Greece. It will have to be registered and insured in the UK. That's a bit tricky because you need an address in the UK, obviously. Then you'll be able to drive the car in Greece but EU law says that you need local plates if the car stays longer than 6 or 3 months (can't remember) in the country. So you'll need to provide the police entry evidence every x months, like boat tickets etc. I know some guys in Greece who have number plates from other countries and police take them off so they have to go to the police station to take them back. Be careful :)

MOT/tax is not a problem, insurance is problem..

Ela re Mano, o Kwstas eimai:) welcome!

Mano did my supra oil change last summer while in Greece:)

Ela re Kosta! :D How are you?

Well changing oil to Kosta's car is my only experience with MK4 supra...:p

Kosta's car was the first MK4 supra I saw in my life... I had only seen it in pictures.... Now, 4 years later, Supra is an obsession for me.... I want it so much!! I have a Starlet EP82 GT now and it will be for sale in a few days to start saving money....

Edited by manolaq (see edit history)

Yea I now, It won't be a daily drive car... A friend of mine told that I can have Greek insurance with foreign plates. I told him to check it out....

• 3 months later...

Mano,

to import it on greek plates you need 67500 euros for tax etc. To maintain it the proper way especially if you buy one of the 5k pounds in the UK it would run you around 20k euros to make it a car. Unfortunatelly only the expensive UK rides are worth especially if you want reliability and practically to drive the car and not just look at it. Kostas car had an arm and a leg on hi performance parts thrown in there and was half working. If you see it now, you will think it's another car. But it takes time, money and patience. By the way I would just buy from the UK one of the Jurgen imports with really low miles, bone stock if possible and then go from there, at least you are starting from a solid base.

cheers

Dimitri