The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sheared bolt - helicoil

Guest CoolsBlue

Guest CoolsBlue
Hi there mate, if you get really stuck and require Helicoils I can do this for you - no charge. I`m in Surrey, so a little bit of travelling for you! Maybe cheaper than buying a Helicoil set though.

thanks for the offer, im going to try it first with my dad, if we fail:D ill be in contact:)

I would just drill it out right in the center with a 3.2mm drill bit first. Then get a 5mm drill if its an m6 bolt (thinks it m6 there?)drill it with that. Then tap it with an m6 tap this will clear the thread out of the old bolt and give you a nice new thread to screw your bolt into. Helicoils are usually only used in aluminium because its hard to get a bolt done up tight without stripping the tapped thread in ali. Bosch drill bits are usually quite good but dont run the drill at full pelt all the time just short burst or you can burn the drill out. Bit of wd40 helps to. If your drill bit is screaming its blunt use a new one. BandQ sell them and an m6 tap halford will sell them. It not as bad a job as you think.I used to do stainless fabrication and this is the quickest easiest way to get a broken bolt out.

If you have to go the coil insery route, a decent tool supplier will be able to sell you a kit with the coils, dill, tap and insertion tool all together. IIRC these can be a bit on the pricey side, though.

About £25 for complete kit depending on thread diameter, most common supplied brand is called Re-coil. Simple to use and effective.

Guest CoolsBlue
I would just drill it out right in the center with a 3.2mm drill bit first. Then get a 5mm drill if its an m6 bolt (thinks it m6 there?)drill it with that. Then tap it with an m6 tap this will clear the thread out of the old bolt and give you a nice new thread to screw your bolt into. Helicoils are usually only used in aluminium because its hard to get a bolt done up tight without stripping the tapped thread in ali. Bosch drill bits are usually quite good but dont run the drill at full pelt all the time just short burst or you can burn the drill out. Bit of wd40 helps to. If your drill bit is screaming its blunt use a new one. BandQ sell them and an m6 tap halford will sell them. It not as bad a job as you think.I used to do stainless fabrication and this is the quickest easiest way to get a broken bolt out.

you got a link to what the m6 tap looks like? i searched it, and a few different types came up

you got a link to what the m6 tap looks like? i searched it, and a few different types came up

:blink: no offence but i think you should take this to someone who has done this sort of thing before. I assumed you had dealt with things like this before. Its really not a job you want to botch.

Guest CoolsBlue
:blink: no offence but i think you should take this to someone who has done this sort of thing before. I assumed you had dealt with things like this before. Its really not a job you want to botch.

nope, but i want to try and do as much as possible, ive got help, but i want to learn to do these things, piccccs?

use your new tap as a center punch on the middle of the sheard bolt. Put the sharp point on the top of the sheared bolt in the centre and hit it once with a hammer. This will stop your drill moving about when you start it off with your 3.2mm drill bit.

Just incase it wasn't read properly, I didn't the first time :)

start it off with your 3.2mm drill bit.

Or a 3mm (drill through)

Then use a 5mm drill before tapping.

You don't really need to use all 3 taps in the set on Ebay, the second or no 2 tap is sufficient for your purposes if you could get that one alone.

If you want a no 2 tap free of charge let me know -I've got 4 or 5in the hut, my brother acquires new ones as freebies. But you'll still need to get a tap wrench from somewhere ;)

Edited by merckx (see edit history)

Guest CoolsBlue

Update on this, all sorted today, one of the bolts just came out with the drill tip, the other 2 bolts were much tighter, used a punch to get the centre, drilled with a 3.2mm bit, then 5mm, bosch bits, was pretty easy to drill through, then used the m6 tap + wrench, full turn, then half turn back to clean the thread, and did it to the 2 new holes

here what i had to buy,

3.2mm bosch metal drill bit - B&Q

5mm bosch metal drill bit - B&Q

pack of M6x1.0 irrc bolts + large washers

Automatic punch - Halfords

needed a drill

socket set

bit of engine oil to use with the tap wrench

hope this helps those who have sheared bolts, was very easy with the right help, i thought it would be a nightmare, we had it all done in less than 1/2 hour:)