The mkiv Supra Owners Club

racing instructor introduces himself

Guest ograms

Guest ograms
Hi Oliver - I organised the trip Henk was on and said 'hi' briefly when we were out there, but I know my way round so didn't take you up on your offer. I know Henk appreciated your help a lot and it probably helped him get under 10 minutes BtG time if we were timing and none of us were.

Well the training is not only suitable for beginners also those who have already quite some track experiance on the Nordschleife can benefit a lot from the training. I do coach between 400 and 500 laps every year already for 10 years. So I can say I have a very deep knowledge of the track which only very few other people have besides me. And I must say a lot of people who drive there a lot just "cultivate" their mistakes. You never stop learning on this track! So taking an instructor is not a sign of weakness it is a sign saying you still can learn something on the track. Nobody including me is perfect.

Well the training is not only suitable for beginners also those who have already quite some track experiance on the Nordschleife can benefit a lot from the training. I do coach between 400 and 500 laps every year already for 10 years. So I can say I have a very deep knowledge of the track which only very few other people have besides me. And I must say a lot of people who drive there a lot just "cultivate" their mistakes. You never stop learning on this track! So taking an instructor is not a sign of weakness it is a sign saying you still can learn something on the track. Nobody including me is perfect.

Point taken. This year's trip was a bit frustrating for me as I seemed hounded by car issues stopping me from lapping initially and then others niggling at me when I did get on track (thanks again to everyone for helping!). As a result I don't think I'd have found your guidance as helpful as it could be, as I'd be concentrating on the car instead of/as well as what you were saying. Maybe next time. :)

P.S. I still learned a lot!

Guest ograms
Point taken. This year's trip was a bit frustrating for me as I seemed hounded by car issues stopping me from lapping initially and then others niggling at me when I did get on track (thanks again to everyone for helping!). As a result I don't think I'd have found your guidance as helpful as it could be, as I'd be concentrating on the car instead of/as well as what you were saying. Maybe next time. :)

P.S. I still learned a lot!

You only go to Nurburgring once a year? What I recommend is a training maybe later on in autum. The weather might not be stable like in summer but the track usually is not so crowded like in the summer.

Guest cptsideways

Hellooooo

Another circuit instructor here, I work for Palmersport (part time) alongside my drifting activities. Would love to take my drifty beast out to the ring some time soon for some fun :D

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the very late reply. Been busy as hell since the return from the ring.

I was most fortunate to find Oliver standing around waiting for his daily pupils two days running. I took him up on his offer to join me.

On the second day accelerating through fog with the confidence that I was on the right part of the track and correctly positioned made one hell of a difference!

I found myself doing >100mph in areas that driving alone I thought I could only do around 80mph.

I particularly liked Oliver's manner, confident and polite about my rather untallented driving ;)

I think I may very well be booking a day's training next year, it takes the scariness out of the corners I just could not get familiar with on my own.

Sorry for the very late reply. Been busy as hell since the return from the ring.

I was most fortunate to find Oliver standing around waiting for his daily pupils two days running. I took him up on his offer to join me.

On the second day accelerating through fog with the confidence that I was on the right part of the track and correctly positioned made one hell of a difference!

I found myself doing >100mph in areas that driving alone I thought I could only do around 80mph.

I particularly liked Oliver's manner, confident and polite about my rather untallented driving ;)

I think I may very well be booking a day's training next year, it takes the scariness out of the corners I just could not get familiar with on my own.

Good idea. I charge £50/hour :rlol:

Guest ograms

Hello Henk, thanks for your warm reply. This is the purpose of the training. To give the participants more confidence and make them driving more safely. Speed and good lap times will come automatically. I hope you could feel that driving with instructor make a big difference than driving without instructor and the fun factor is even much higher. Sometimes it is not easy for me to convince people taking up the service but once they have tested it they will come back. Some drivers from England book a training with me every year.

Rgds. Oliver

Hello Supra-Fans, just yesterday I met your forum member 'Henk' at the Nurburgring Nordschleife. So we were talking about nice and powerfull Supras.

My Name is Oliver from Germany. Actually I don't drive a Supra myself but in my profession I deal with sportive cars very often. I'm driving instructor at the Nurbugring but also at other tracks. I've done about 4.000 laps on the Nurburgring Nordschleife within the past 15 years. I can actually dream this track and know it very much in detail. I took the opportunity to coach Henk for 2 laps in his Supra. But he'll definitly tell you, when he is back from the Nurburgring.

Rgds. Oliver

Cool, you should get a Supra too then! lol... :-)

Hi and welcome to the club...