The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Coilover Opinions HKS or Tein's

Scott

I'll get some pics up later. I got the megan ones, they look the business. I love the way you can adjust the height without effecting the spring rate. Only problem is the height has to be set before attaching them which is going to be a pain.

iv been looking at getting the tein superstreet. but what advantice do you get with the upper mounts because dont you have to mess about with the back end to get them to fit??

coz i was going to order the ones without upermounts.

Pillowball mounts just offer a bit more adjustment as far as i know. They also make the ride a little bit firmer.

When i was thinking about the teins i was planning on getting the uppermounts, just so that i had new ones and not anything to do with the adjustment or ride.

Megan racing and K-sport are one and the same IIRC.

For a fast road car pretty much all suspension marketed as 'coilovers' (stock suspension is actually coil over strut design 'coilovers' on the Supra and on the vast majority of production cars) is far too stiff for UK roads.

A car with a set of Toyota Billsteins and Eibach (of the lesser lowering variety, there's 2x options) or TRD springs will hand a 'coilovered' car it's ass on your average backroad. CW suspension is custom matched based on similar units and so will ultimately be the best fast road setup for a Supra in the UK.

If you're doing track work, 'coilovers' make more sense as on a billiard table smooth surface is where they come into their own.

Cheers,

Brian.

Megan racing and K-sport are one and the same IIRC.

For a fast road car pretty much all suspension marketed as 'coilovers' (stock suspension is actually coil over strut design 'coilovers' on the Supra and on the vast majority of production cars) is far too stiff for UK roads.

A car with a set of Toyota Billsteins and Eibach (of the lesser lowering variety, there's 2x options) or TRD springs will hand a 'coilovered' car it's ass on your average backroad. CW suspension is custom matched based on similar units and so will ultimately be the best fast road setup for a Supra in the UK.

If you're doing track work, 'coilovers' make more sense as on a billiard table smooth surface is where they come into their own.

Cheers,

Brian.

Really? My main reason for buying these was because the spring rate was close to stock. Also when lowering the car its the arm that turns and moves up and down so the spring rate says the same.

Thats what it said on the box anyway ;)

I wouldnt compare them yo K-sport ones, If you search the Usa Supra Forum there is nothing but bad feedback about the K-sport coilovers also a few members went from K-sport to Megan due to how bad K-sport were, apparently setting them is a nightmare also they dont provide the same amount of features, Im also lead to believe the Megans use the same components as APexi N1 coilovers.

I must say like I do want a set.

How much in total Scotster and be truthfull ;) did you get shafted for tax?

Lew.

imo you dont need coilovers for a road car, a good shock and lowering spring would be more than capable of the job! more than likely ul buy the coilovers and never adjust them more than once anyway, unless ur doing lots of trackdays etc

I don't need the coilovers to lower the car though, my car is on its arse right now. Basically if you think about it my shocks are 12 years old so they would need changed anyway. I don't think there is a cheaper way for me to get new shocks and springs to be honest.

I'm pretty sure its my shocks making my car uber low. I'm positive they are well past their best. I tried RS*R springs and they were still too low so rather than stock, which i can't lower when i like, i went for the coilovers that i can adjust as i see fit.

I don't need the coilovers to lower the car though, my car is on its arse right now. Basically if you think about it my shocks are 12 years old so they would need changed anyway. I don't think there is a cheaper way for me to get new shocks and springs to be honest.

I'm pretty sure its my shocks making my car uber low. I'm positive they are well past their best. I tried RS*R springs and they were still too low so rather than stock, which i can't lower when i like, i went for the coilovers that i can adjust as i see fit.

Depends how much u wanna spend, id go for teins to be honest, had them twice now in supras and found them good and not too hard on the road, hks i reckon are a little more "agressive" but very good non the less.

Maybe this will tease you :D

Autobacs here in Japan from yesterday, all coilovers on the shelf, you're looking at Tein, ohlins and cusco there, the ohlins are well tasty!!

Got my coilovers today :eyebrows:

They really look the business. Can't wait to have a go at putting them on :D

Only took the 1 pic, once you have seen one.. you have seen them all :)

Depends how much u wanna spend, id go for teins to be honest, had them twice now in supras and found them good and not too hard on the road, hks i reckon are a little more "agressive" but very good non the less.

Maybe this will tease you :D

Autobacs here in Japan from yesterday, all coilovers on the shelf, you're looking at Tein, ohlins and cusco there, the ohlins are well tasty!!

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/corcorantonyire/autobacscoilovers.jpg

;)

Shits all over our crappy chavtastic Halfords stores!!!

Scotster - the spring rates you mentioned are waaay harder than stock IIRC.

Must be the D2 suspension that's the same as K-sport then - apologies for the confusion. The Megan's do sound good value for money at that price!

Cheers,

Brian.

Scotster - the spring rates you mentioned are waaay harder than stock IIRC.

Arghhhh

Oh well, i've never had stock anyway lol. The ones i have had have always been lowered. I guess only time will tell on the ride comfort.

What about a CW suspension option?

Adjustable suspension is only as good as the person who sets it up..

If it's double your budget then start saving; it's the single best thing I have ever done to any supra, and I've been through lots of coilover kits.... The CW system is worth it in safety alone, that aside it is a joy to drive in every aspect.