The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mpg???

Duffman

ive been using normal 95 ron since ive had the car bout 8weeks, do bout 100mile a week, so i take it i should only use vpower then? it a jdm tt, sure i read that its fine to run 95 and only run under this ie 93 in emergency, it says it in supra handbook i bought i think. going to use vpower from now on anyway,

There is AFAIK no rule that you have to run a TT on 97RON+ (this includes V-Power, Tesco 99) However it is recommended. You may have boost issues but nothing major (unless your car is mapped to high octane fuel)

One thing to bear in mind is that in Ireland all that you can buy is 95RON, there are a lot of TT's in Ireland.

The manual you have probably read/bought is more than likely for a UK spec TT supra, as they can run on 95RON.

Running high octane does increase MPG slightly.

There is AFAIK no rule that you have to run a TT on 97RON+ (this includes V-Power, Tesco 99) However it is recommended.

One thing to bear in mind is that in Ireland all that you can buy is 95RON, there are a lot of TT's in Ireland.

The manual you have probably read/bought is more than likely for a UK spec TT supra, as they can run on 95RON.

Yeh VERY SLIGHTLY! My Supe loves to drink the fuel lol! :D

When i had my n/a i used 97 RON only and now i have my TT, its 99 RON or 97 RON in an emergency.

When people say the UK can run on 95 RON, but the imports aren't designed for it, what actual differences in the fuelling etc are there? And what harm would 95 RON potentially do in an import if used for many many many thousands of miles continuously?

Silversoop, what do you define as "later in engine life"?

:)

I'd disagree on that. I used to use V-Power as a rule and I was getting 20-22mpg on long motorway hauls with few to none foot to the floor pulls. I now use 95 ron and on motorway drags I can easily get 25mpg for some reason. I'm not complaining mind, just pointing out what I've found in my experience.

A colleague at work uses V-Power in his VAG 1.8T engine and reckons he gets about 5mpg more out of it though.

I do agree that that 3mpg makes a HUGE difference over £80 worth of unleaded though, especially when you have to fill up 3 times in a weekend! (roll on this bank holiday I say ;))

I do not think it is a case as they are not designed for UK fuel, I think (could be wrong) that in Japan it is a 100RON that is available at the pumps so obviously the car is used tot hat kind of fuel. (I think)

I must admit Jaunchan that I am the opposite, I get better MPG on higher octane fuel, obviously that is good (to me) but you loose it again with the price of the fuel. :(

I must admit Jaunchan that I am the opposite, I get better MPG on higher octane fuel, obviously that is good (to me) but you loose it again with the price of the fuel. :(

That was one of the reasons I used high octane fuel initially, but after a couple of tight months when I thought "stuff it, 95'll do for this week", I've not looked back.

Maybe my driving style has calmed down now that I'm a little more used to the power, compared to the gung-ho "OMG this is awesome" attitude I had about a year ago!

I might have to put a tank or two of the good stuff in over the summer and compare consumption :)

When people say the UK can run on 95 RON, but the imports aren't designed for it, what actual differences in the fuelling etc are there? And what harm would 95 RON potentially do in an import if used for many many many thousands of miles continuously?

Silversoop, what do you define as "later in engine life"?

:)

I'd disagree on that. I used to use V-Power as a rule and I was getting 20-22mpg on long motorway hauls with few to none foot to the floor pulls. I now use 95 ron and on motorway drags I can easily get 25mpg for some reason. I'm not complaining mind, just pointing out what I've found in my experience.

A colleague at work uses V-Power in his VAG 1.8T engine and reckons he gets about 5mpg more out of it though.

I do agree that that 3mpg makes a HUGE difference over £80 worth of unleaded though, especially when you have to fill up 3 times in a weekend! (roll on this bank holiday I say ;))

Well it is my understanding that continuous useage in he wrong type of fuel can cause the engine to pre-detonate. It usually occurs i *think*

in higher mileage unless 95 RON has been used from new...