The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Twin turbo supra MPG

Guest _Olly_

admiral under written by elephant. going to give adrian flux a call as well

I'v just gone with Admiral and can say i couldnt find anyone cheaper

BUT

make sure they have the correct cc (2997cc) mkiv and not (2954cc) mkIII

When i corrected them on the cc the mkiv came out cheaper

£277 fully comp, 9 years NCB protected, different alloys and bodykit.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest _Olly_

checked quite a few times. definatly a mkiv. 2997. 1996 model ive put. but it will have to be standard and a uk model for a while. all i can afford lol. would love a manual but they are very rare by the look of things!

Ive had my twin turbo for a month now & since day 1 ive been very warey of the rwd & the turbo kick & im still getting caught out especially in the wet. I keep thinking im safe once im going in a straight line...wrong. Never turn the slip control off, its a life saver & not as bad as most people would make out. :D

Going up a slip road even with the road only a little damp, getting some power down...WOAAAAH!!!! s**t! god bless you traction control. Come on summer.

checked quite a few times. definatly a mkiv. 2997. 1996 model ive put. but it will have to be standard and a uk model for a while. all i can afford lol. would love a manual but they are very rare by the look of things!

i have 10 years no claims, 3000 limited miles, garaged, tracker, cat1 clifford etc and im 27 my insurance was more than that from them??? something wrong

Ive had my twin turbo for a month now & since day 1 ive been very warey of the rwd & the turbo kick & im still getting caught out especially in the wet. I keep thinking im safe once im going in a straight line...wrong. Never turn the slip control off, its a life saver & not as bad as most people would make out. :D

Going up a slip road even with the road only a little damp, getting some power down...WOAAAAH!!!! s**t! god bless you traction control. Come on summer.

Get the RLTC fitted and you'll see that the stock TC is crap lol - but it's good enough to save your ass :)

Before i got my supra, people were making out the slip control cuts power for 30 seconds!, its like 2-3 seconds, enough to get the car back on balance. Replacing it sounds expensive when its doing an ok job & i have my eyes on other stuff.

Edit: just checked the price on that RLTC...£500+ just for the unit. For a stock supra, seems a little excessive to fit that.

maybe he lives in a low crime rate area & things like that. Im 27, 7 years no claims, no points, toad ai606, never driven a car with over 200bhp or rwd, Jspec TT 100% standard. £480 a year with Tesco. Same as my old car (G6 celica GT). Quoted more for the non turbo.

its like 2-3 seconds, enough to get the car back on balance. Replacing it sounds expensive when its doing an ok job & i have my eyes on other stuff.

2-3 seconds is a long time if the traction control cuts in when you need to pull out quickly to avoid other traffic.

RLTC is in a different league. :)

2-3 seconds is a long time if the traction control cuts in when you need to pull out quickly to avoid other traffic.

RLTC is in a different league. :)

Like pulling away from a roundabout, not fun when you have no power with cars coming at you.

admiral under written by elephant. going to give adrian flux a call as well

I was 20 when I bought my Supra, and I was originally fully comp with Admiral. It came to £1300 with my mother on the policy as a named driver and its a J spec. Admiral was also only a 10 month policy

A month later I cancelled the policy as they did not cover modifications, and joined Adrian Flux for a total of £2100 with everything claimed.

:D

The car survived its previous 13 years with the traction control its got. Im not looking to increase the bhp or anything. If anything i should take drifting lessons :)

What does the system cut the power down to when it kicks in? it doesnt just kill all the power.

Back to mpg. I predict that in the winter mpg a lot better than the summer for most owners!

im 21 in july have had modded cars since ive started driving nearly 3 years back admiral quoted me 2300 on a manual tt import! thats with my dad on as a named driver and a 1000 pound excess without that i was looking at 3500! aint checked uk spec though! but realistically i probably will end up with an import due to the fact that uk spec are as rare as rocking horse sh*t! if your getting quoted that then take it we both hands!

What does the system cut the power down to when it kicks in? it doesnt just kill all the power.

Back to mpg. I predict that in the winter mpg a lot better than the summer for most owners!

When the stock TC decides to cut power, it's as if you've just knocked the car into neutral. There's nothing you can do either, except wait for it to allow power to return. And if you're trying to go a bit quicker than normal to pull out into a gap in traffic it can really scare the cr*p out of you! It tends to cut power for me when I really really don't want it to.

If I'm just booting it and the back steps out, I've usually recovered it by the time the TC lights up shouting "I'm saving you, I'm saving you". Yeah, cheers, only about 10 seconds too late! :rolleyes:

I pretty much always turn it off now. It rarely cuts in anyway, but it always does at the exact moment you don't want it to. Which makes it less than useless in my books :)

You're better off without any TC IMO - makes you a better driver through forcing you to drive propery, developing an analogue right foot an all!

The stock TC is just dangerous, hence it was binned on mine and I use my right foot.

I think the insurance has allot to do with where you live. When i was 20 on my n/a the qoute for slough was around £1800, where as down in crawley is was £1200.

Petrol on the TT i find isn't as big a deal as the n/a imo. With the TT your getting 18/20mpg with the performance near to astin martins and porsches or whatever. Where as the n/a your getting slightly more (possible 18/22mpg) with the performance of a sporty renault clio, which is probably getting back 30+ mpg

i had a uk tt manual at 19 and the insurance was under 2k with elephant, i came from a 2.0 megane coupe so i was in the same boat as you, as long as you take it easy and get used to the car you'll be fine, i haven't spun or had a near miss yet(touch wood) i'm now 22 on my third supra and have owned a 600bhp single, the single had rltc which is well worth it and if i could go back it would be the first thing i'd fit to my uk car.

best of luck mate and be careful!

I was getting around 300 miles on super unleaded put in Tescos 99 ron and it seeems to have gone up to about 320 miles:d I'm squeezing in about £80 ish for a full tank. Think it works out about 20mpg however imho i think that if owning a car like this you shouldn't really worry about low mpg.

Its a fair question, youd be an idiot to blindly buy a car without knowing how much petrol it uses. From what i found out when looking for cars, the supra isnt as bad as other cars out there, Skyline GTS-T, Impreza & especially Evo 6 are a little bit worse going on forum members claimed mpg & all of those are less powerful (cant remember the evo 6 bhp).

I will probably come to a point where ive gotten to know the car enough that the slip control starts to irritate me too, but im fine with it right now & its helping me. Going from 170bhp FWD to 326bhp RWD is a learning curve :)

The stock TC is crap.

The startup sequence in my car is as follows.

1. Key in and start her up,

2. 2 Hit that big button that says POS on it, (AKA the traction control),

3. Stereo front panel on and select your favourite track,

4. Belt-up,

5. Make sure my medallion isn't trapped in the belt.

6. Let's go.

;)

The stock TC is crap.

The startup sequence in my car is as follows.

1. Key in and start her up,

2. 2 Hit that big button that says POS on it, (AKA the traction control),

3. Stereo front panel on and select your favourite track,

4. Belt-up,

5. Make sure my medallion isn't trapped in the belt.

6. Let's go.

;)

:D