The mkiv Supra Owners Club

T.R.A.C

Rob Moch

hi all

this is the first time i have had a car with traction control. we have a 90deg right hand bend not far away from me on a lovey short stretch of road one of those bend s where you try and go a bit faster each time you go round it but now i think i have the hang of it a few times the t.r.a.c light comes on and the engine power cut right back is this the way it works when over cooking it

thanks rob

Yep it is usless and will get you into trouble. It always cuts in too much and too late and leaves you with no power to correct things afterwards.  

There is a much superior system. RLTC

Just checked your post again  and notice you have a UK spec, so your TC has a brake function as well as cblocking the   induction, but I believe that UK spec owners are not impressed with the stock TC either and many have RLTC fitted

(Edited by Phil Wall at 8:49 pm on April 14, 2002)

Rob

you can turn the UK traction control off each time you get in the car (by default it will always be on when you start the engine).

OR

if you get bored with having to turn it off every time, just pull out the TRAC fuse which is located in the fuse-box near the battery.   Inside the black plastic cover is a diagram that tells you which fuse is which.

Pull the TRAC fuse, and the traction control is disabled.       The little orange light near the rev-counter will now be on permanently.

obviously you can always re-enable it by just plugging the fuse back in.

• 5 weeks later...
Originally posted by Doughie

Rob

you can turn the UK traction control off each time you get in the car (by default it will always be on when you start the engine).

OR

if you get bored with having to turn it off every time, just pull out the TRAC fuse which is located in the fuse-box near the battery.   Inside the black plastic cover is a diagram that tells you which fuse is which.

Pull the TRAC fuse, and the traction control is disabled.       The little orange light near the rev-counter will now be on permanently.

obviously you can always re-enable it by just plugging the fuse back in.

i have rltc and have to turn the stock traction control button off each time too

is that normal i thought rltc would not let the standard traction control work.sometimes i forget to turn the stock traction off and the lights start flickering to tell you wheels are spinning and the snow light kicks in

will have to look for the trac fuse

dont it also stop the manu option from working too??

i have rltc and have to turn the stock traction control button off each time too

This is normal.

The two systems are independant of each other.

Most of the time the crappy stock system detects wheel slip way too early and then really hits hard with the power reduction. The RLTC would have probably let this slip pass (depending on the configurable settings) So the Stock system masks the RLTC system.

ALWAYS hit the TRAC button for the stock system each time you get in and turn it OFF!

BUT REMEMBER to ALWAYS check the position of the RLTC system.

I'm in the habit now of checking it and leaving it in wet and only when I actively choose to, reduce this setting. Safest I felt. Do what ever is best for you.

You do have to be pro-active and do something about which system and what settings you want but then that's half the fun.

You could build an electronic timer to automatically pulse the TRAC switch for you and automatically turn it off each time you turn the ignition on.

Pete

I have a uk tt auto and must admit, the worst thing on the car is the Traction control

When i had my 1st uk mkiv supra it got me in more trouble than it stopped.

The 1st time mine cut in i thought i'd blown the motor up or something as it just went dead but with no red warning lights, had me worried for a while.

Mine just feels like someones turned the motor off and it seems to take forever to give you some power back.

Gets turned off now whether its wet or dry.

Shame as it lets the car down and im sure those electrical wizards at Toyota could have done a better job with the standard Traction system.

Im actually amazed that they didnt get the stock system to work better than it does.

Its supposed to be a driver come safety aid but i think its actually less safe to drive with it on.

In Toyota's defence at least they gave us a switch so we can turn it on or off, so me thinks they must have know from the begining it was a load of s**t.

Regards

Andrew[dunk]Shaw