The mkiv Supra Owners Club

rx7

pablo1971

Hehe. Seems to be a car that provokes reaction!

The rotary CAN be unreliable I had 2 fd - both mint - one was unreliable (standard twins) one never missed abeat (large single500+ proved on two dynos) but I only did 15k in it and that seems to be the hit and miss of it.

They are great track car. There is one lad having an ls1 put in his RX7 (500 rotary just taken out) who drives a Porsche 911 GT2 as a daily! He has bought a triple rotor RX just for fun whilst the conversion is being done. In his words - 'the RX7 is in a different league to the GT2 when it's fun/track time' - a strong endorsment I would have thought.

If any one is near Birmingham I can recommend a visit to a guy called Craig who is gaining a great reputation for the LS1 conversion. Also watch for the 1/2JZ conversion gaining popularity now there is a kit for it.

1JZ in Fd3 - same kit for 2JZ just being honed before release.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/pantelis/enginebayrx7small.jpg

LS1 in Fd3. Craigs is 7l 600torque 550 fron 2500RPM :) :) :)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/pantelis/rx7v8.jpg

The silver car on the ground is now housing the 7l fron Craigs and belongs to the GT2 driver.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/pantelis/4mazda.jpg

that 1jz looks impressive. i didnt know they did a vvti version

but and its a BIG BUT!!! thats the whole point of the RX7.. taking away the rotary engine in my eyes your taking away the heart and soul...thats why a lot of lads tune the nuts off there rex..and spend fortunes on upkeep and get there hands dirty doing there own rebuilds etc...because without the rotary engine it isnt an rx7...its just the way it is;)

Ah your on DW, saw your pics, you went to Wednesdays DWYB day didnt you, I should have been there with my 13, but she is being tempremental on me currently with ignition issues it seems.....

Take it you had a good day, thought about going in the Supe, but after just spending 4k on a respray she is a bit of a show girl now, well ok for booting it about on roads, but sideways round conned tracks and popping tyres on Racing Hart wheels is a no, no ;) Keep an eye out for a matt black 13 with Gumball stickers on the wings.......any plans for Lydd at the end of the month..?

Rubbish, the Rotary design has been around almost as long as a Piston design. There have been many many variations and concepts of the Rotary over the years by many different designers who had chances with them and it's the best it is now, which is still crap... why would anyone buy a car with an engine with an extremely limited life span(aka 60K miles) in this modern era!

It's not like it's even going to compensate for this fault by saving you money on fuel economy.... because thats it's second biggest problem... very poor efficiency!

Anyway, I like how Keef summed up his experience with his Rex and can echo what he means entirely.

Oh and Antnicuk, the Supra is a far more sexy, aggressive, classy, better looking car any day! :p

Your right, there have been many designers and concepts, but more then the piston engine? no, much less, surely you have to agree with that?

We have a BPU supra and a rex with a few bells and whistles. Now, please skip ahead if you are expecting a technical evaluation of them. I am not what I consider a fast driver/rider - I know how to keep the sticky side down, but that is about it, I'm not a track king. I'm average tall, and I have a beer gut, but I'm not rotund.

OK, here goes... The rex is uncomfortable, loud, thirsty, scary, rattly, bangy and tries to kill you if you take your eyes off the road to look at the attractive lady that is looking back at you disapprovingly...

...I love it.

It corners like it is on rails, it makes the Supra feel like an overweight minibus. There is no lag, at all, anywhere... the Apexi power fc might help there? It pulls so quickly and strongly, its amazing. You accelerate and sneeze at the same time, you are doing 30mph more (and you've just used £20 of fuel) The "extra rotor" engines must be gorgeous. As has been said, it is so agile and grippy, I've had a few occasions where I may have arrived at my corner a touch faster than required, and I turn the wheel whilst praying to all the God's I can think of, and she just goes round casual as you like - as if to say, what ARE you doing - do you know how to drive? I get out of the rex with a grin, look back and it is gorgeous, so sleek and sexy, lovely curves. Unless I have been stuck in traffic, then you bore of the noise, the tractor clutch, the snatchy short shift, the cramped quarters, you get out wanting to kill someone.

Then I drive the Supra for a week... it is so comfy... sure, there's a bit of lag from the jspecs in comparision, but there is so much power! OK, not as quick, but feels like it has so much more to give... I guess it needs all that power to lug its lardy arse about. Cornering speed wise, there isn't much between them in my hands, as I said, I'm not a driving God. However, the Supra will LOOK like it is going fast - you know, it that shouty "look at me, pull me now I'm speeding" way, and it'll be all "sloppy" in comparision to the rex. (A Supra - sloppy? HAHAHA). It is so easy though, the rex requires you to drive it, the Supra will help you out, it'll fill in the holes in your driving style, it will compliment you nicely and won't bite your hand off.

Supra just has enough of everything. I guess it is the compromise car. Its reliable, comfortable, fast, looks good, stops ok, can carry your weekly shopping, can carry three people (four if they have no legs), can do 300 miles without deafening you... Once you convert from rex to Supra it isn't sloppy, it actually rides bumps. If you ride over an empty packet of crisps you can still tell what flavour they were in the Supra, but unlike the rex you don't loose a tooth when you do. Yeah, it is the "better" car.

If I was driving to Scotland, I'd take the Supra... driving to the shops, probably the Supra, driving to work - Supra again - its a no brainer, end of arguement, the Supra is better...

...so why do I find myself picking up the rex keys instead sometimes? :)

I enjoy the rex but I wouldn't own one, the one in this story is my other half's. I bought the Supra because I love it. I think the rex would be a phenominal car in clever hands, and we enjoy both of them, but I'd keep the Supra.

... Now where are those rex keys again??

but and its a BIG BUT!!! thats the whole point of the RX7.. taking away the rotary engine in my eyes your taking away the heart and soul...thats why a lot of lads tune the nuts off there rex..and spend fortunes on upkeep and get there hands dirty doing there own rebuilds etc...because without the rotary engine it isnt an rx7...its just the way it is;)

You havn't been out in an LS REX then. A lot of people have the same view. None of them have been out in one iether.

i think flips comments just about cover it. everyone needs a bit of rx7 in their life to make them feel special, but its like going out with britney spears, once a month is enough, any more and you get p1ssed off with her.

As for the poor design bit, you are soooo way off, look at cerbera's, scoobys, skylines, lotus esprit's, they are all cars with wonderful powerful engines that are also sh1te and need rebuilding regularly.

As for looks, supra equals Dawn French, RX7 equals Cameron Diaz so there :p:p

RX7 is one of the nicest looking cars ever designed IMO. Beautifully styled. I've test driven a couple, not long enough to get a real feel I admit but I didnt catch the bug. I wouldnt want to actually own one nice as they are, the Supra ticks more boxes for me.

i think flips comments just about cover it. everyone needs a bit of rx7 in their life to make them feel special, but its like going out with britney spears, once a month is enough, any more and you get p1ssed off with her.

As for the poor design bit, you are soooo way off, look at cerbera's, scoobys, skylines, lotus esprit's, they are all cars with wonderful powerful engines that are also sh1te and need rebuilding regularly.

As for looks, supra equals Dawn French, RX7 equals Cameron Diaz so there :p:p

Both cars are from the early 90's, but only one of them looks like it is, i'll leave it up to you to decide which is which.:)