The mkiv Supra Owners Club

In car height adjustable suspension?

michael

Just a general question really - I'm aware of air bag and hydraulic suspension systems but both seem to really compromise the handling of the car (or can you get decent setups now?).

Has anyone ever seen a system that allows you to have standard or uprated 'normal' suspension but still have some kind of height adjustment without playing with spring platforms outside of the car?

I know the tein system exists to do stiffness, does anyone do anything similar to do height?

What I'm aiming towards is a system that allows you to run the car nice and low on track / smooth roads but then at the touch of a button lift the car to clear speedbumps etc

A dream or possible without losing handling?

(I'm not planning this on a Supra BTW so don't panic)

Hmmm...

In car height adjustment without airbags...could be tough...

Be interested if you find anything... I know one of the guys at work (engineer) came up with an interesting system on paper which use oil based suspension which allowed you to pump more oil in to increase the height...but it was purely theoritical...

Gav

I was wondering if you could combine a normal setup with something like the airbags as well - two lots of suspension is going to be tricky to fit and finding some way to disconnect the airbag stuff when not in use would be hard I guess.... I guess I want my cake, then to eat it, then to eat some more :)

Looks like it might have to be some kind of dual setup then - hydraulics or bags to act against the standard suspension and lift the height but then when they are at their min setting they exert no force on anything or disengage somehow to allow the standard suspension to do it's thing.

Pipe dreams are wonderful....