The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Houston we have a problem!

SILKYSMOOTH

• 2 weeks later...

PROBLEM SOLVED :)

After a long wait and plenty of determination, I managed to change the starter motor, and finished about an hour ago.

I was going to take it into a mechanic to do it but had problems with getting a Recovery vehecile to pick it up, so I decided to do it myself.

I had little space ( 1ft either side of the car, and just used the standand jack with no axle stands and worked in the garage from above and below the engine. Its amazing that I was able to even fit under the car!

I bought a couple of 14mm spanners/ratchets and even cut one of the spanners so it was really small and slowly undone the top bolt from above the engine. Anyway it was nightmare two days working on it but got there in the end. Putting it back together only took 2 hours.

Had a slight shock when I tried to take off the live cable, (small spark) then realised maybe it's best if disconnect the battery completely.

Fitted everything back together and now the dreaded moment, fingers crossed.........started 1st time and the second and the 3rd.

So in the end Starter Motor was the problem.

I missed the sound of my car roooooar. Needs a serous wash now which I will look forward to

Thanks to miko_supra for sending me an original Starter Motor, same as the one I had, but a good one.

PROBLEM SOLVED :)

After a long wait and plenty of determination, I managed to change the starter motor, and finished about an hour ago.

I was going to take it into a mechanic to do it but had problems with getting a Recovery vehecile to pick it up, so I decided to do it myself.

I had little space ( 1ft either side of the car, and just used the standand jack with no axle stands and worked in the garage from above and below the engine. Its amazing that I was able to even fit under the car!

I bought a couple of 14mm spanners/ratchets and even cut one of the spanners so it was really small and slowly undone the top bolt from above the engine. Anyway it was nightmare two days working on it but got there in the end. Putting it back together only took 2 hours.

Had a slight shock when I tried to take off the live cable, (small spark) then realised maybe it's best if disconnect the battery completely.

Fitted everything back together and now the dreaded moment, fingers crossed.........started 1st time and the second and the 3rd.

So in the end Starter Motor was the problem.

Thanks to miko_supra for sending me an original Starter Motor, same as the one I had, but a good one.

Great news Miko. :)

Please don't scare us by getting under a car without something better than a jack keeping it up. :(

Thing is, I purchased a trolley jack and 2 axle stands, then jacked the car up only to realise that the jack needed to go up another inch, it had reached its maximum, so I was so close but not enough for the car to sit on the axle stands.

So instead I jacked the car up from the passenger side and then placed the trolley jack underneath the front of the car for support if it did go.

I do NOT recommend anyone doing anything like this without proper safety enquipment, so "dont try this at home, if you don't know what your doing"

Thing is, I purchased a trolley jack and 2 axle stands, then jacked the car up only to realise that the jack needed to go up another inch, it had reached its maximum, so I was so close but not enough for the car to sit on the axle stands.

So instead I jacked the car up from the passenger side and then placed the trolley jack underneath the front of the car for support if it did go.

I do NOT recommend anyone doing anything like this without proper safety enquipment, so "dont try this at home, if you don't know what your doing"

Phew...:D