The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ex Celica GT4 Owners (or friends of) ?

Willson

I think there are at least a couple of ex GT4 owners on here........

I am thinking about getting one of these and the only bad thing I can find about them, is the cost and frequency of engine rebuilds.

Its hard to get a gauge on a bbs, as people only post when they have problems.

So my question is, would you say these engines hold together well, or are rebuilds common ?

Any other info appreciated.

Cheers :thumbs:

It's the same 3S-GTE as in the MR2 Turbo - bulletproof when standard, solid when modded properly but problematic when tinkered with to the extreme without supporting mods.

People have been pushing the stock internals more and more recently and as a consequence a few tired engines are giving up the ghost, keep it standard and you'll be OK, mod it within known limits and you'll be fine :)

The age of the cars means things wear out but they are generally reliable, there are 3S-GTEs in the UK with 300k+ on them with no major work carried out.

Thats just thing, they dont seem to be quite as reliable as in the '2 and they seem to cost a lot more to rebuild/replace. This is just from what I have read on the gt4oc over the last couple of weeks.

I'd be running 1.2 Bar, as this seems to be the safe max (and they are not that fast standard imo).

The only extra I can think of is the chargecooler system but this seems reliable enough, so much so that the MR2 chaps are buying used units and sticking them on their cars.

Engines are pretty much identical but located in a better place for cooling... I can't see why they would be more unreliable, FWIW a lot of the MR2 chaps seem to be rebuilding at the moment :)

I'd agree on the standard performance of them, very disappointing but a few tweeks and you are up to 300bhp or so and the car is transformed.

Cool.

Do you think its fair to say that the 2JZ-GTE is the least rebuilt turbo engine ever !? :D

In over 2 years reading this board daily, I can count the number of rebuilds on one hand. And all but one were either running big singles or crazy boost on stock turbos.

Maybe turbo engines and rebuilds are a fact of life. edit - unless you have a mkiv.

I see. From what I know that the maintainance cost wont be as high as Supra.

But the only problem I seem was the amount of the money going to spend on the petrol as it is kind of heavy somehow.

Also, if the car's mileage is quite high, the break-lines for all the breaks may have some problem.

Hope these helps a bit.

I've imported one and my brother owns it. I drive it frequently and we both put constant hard miles on it using it for 1/4 miling and sprint track / circuit action. It's been a great car and nothing but reliable. It now has 73,000 miles on it, the last 13,000 of those in various states of modding. When it was bog standard, we managed a 13.7 sec 1/4 mile time - not too shabby. With gutted cat, custom 3" zorst system, apexi induction kit and boost raised to 16psi via a profec b2 we managed a 12.8 sec 1/4 mile time. It now also has a Clutchmasters FX400 paddle clutch (std one gave up after around 100 drag launches), Fidanza lightweight flywheel, Aussie 3" downpipe and an Apexi PowerFC currently running the base map - checked the fuelling with a wideband and then took it to the last strip date of the season. It was wet and freezing cold and it still ran a 13.1 - it definately feels like it will go faster to a 12.5 in the dry now. More to come from it with mapping. We also put it on the rollers with the base map and made 321bhp with 298lb/ft torque. I expect a jump of about 20 of each with mapping, going by the dips in the graphs when fuelling is still too rich.

Next planned mods are walbro pump, 850cc injectors and a turbo change. Not sure to what though yet, possibly a GReddy TD06-20G. Then obviously a remap.

It's an excellent all round package as it is - similar brakes to UK spec Supra, chargecooler system good for over 450bhp etc. It's constantly in the top 3 on the Crail timed sprint track - better than Supra TT's, Skyline GTR's, scoobies and most lancers. It's on a par with a 400+ bhp evo7 and a 7esque type kit car. That's with no suspension or brake mods.

As mcanny hinted, they seem to be slightly more reliable than the rev.3 on mr2 turbo's running the same engine - probably due to the chargecooler system and better engine cooling where it's located.

Cheers,

Brian.

Thanks alot for that Brian. They are great times for your brothers car :)

I went for a test drive in one today and I am pretty sure thats what Im gonna be going for now. Well, in March or so.

Felt violently fast (!) compared to my na mr2 :) It was completely standard too !

They seem to be somewhat overlooked in my opinion. I mean they are a little heavy, but thats because they are so well built. Lighter than a modern impreza.

Thanks again. :)

Yeah Brians right, really good all round package. Sometimes miss the way my ST205 handled, was like it was on rails.

Id be very wary about raising boost levels without the correct fuelling mods, I blew my piston ringlands running just 1.1bar of boost. Had to have my engine rebuilt and it cost me about 5.5k, having said that it was rebuilt with oversized forged pistons, polished crank, flywheel, clutch, rebuilt cylinder head and hybrid turbo. Had it dyno'd afterwards and it made 305bhp and 290lb ft at just under 1bar of boost.

It really did fly after the rebuild and would have wiped the floor with my supra when it was stock especially in the wet and round the twisties.

All in all id recommend them, great car.......

Just remembered the one thing we did need to do on it from Mad Ad's post and what is the ST205's achilles heel - the figure of 8's - the bushes on them perish at around 60k miles and you get a dull knock over bumps etc.

Cheers,

Brian.

Engine rebuilds - just depends who you use and where you buy your parts from for any car. I could rebuild a 3S-GTE for under £1k taking the engine out myself and putting it back in myself. All depends on how much you're willing to get your hands dirty and who you know to get stuff from / take stuff to for work.

Cheers,

Brian.

Engine rebuilds - just depends who you use and where you buy your parts from for any car. I could rebuild a 3S-GTE for under £1k taking the engine out myself and putting it back in myself. All depends on how much you're willing to get your hands dirty and who you know to get stuff from / take stuff to for work.

Exactly, i probably paid over the odds for my rebuild. Would have like to have attempted it myself but wouldnt have known where to start :p