The mkiv Supra Owners Club

code 42 no.1 speed sensor problem

Guest jt2000

Looking for advice from people who have had the dreaded code 42. Basically my orange warning light comes up along with the engine management light(r/h side of dash) and the o/d light flashes. It happens at about 65-70 mph and 4000 revs.

I have read a few threads which suggest a dodgy speed convertor or limiter, however my car doesn't have these fitted. I have removed the odometer and checked the joints which seem ok.

The odometer and speedo work ok so I'm thinking that maybe the odmeter is faulty in someway which is causing the fault to occur.

The only other thing I've noticed is where the pink wire joins the ecu there was a wire crimped onto it in the past which has left a couple of marks on the wire. The wire seems to have a good connection though.

I was considering trying another odometer to try and find where the fault is. Does anyone know of any going cheap?

Any other helpful pointers would be appreciated.

Just saw this in another thread as a possible fix:

On the back of the odo plug you should see a blue/red wire and a pink wire, they are next to each other next to a brown wire in a row of three. Cut the pink wire about an inch from the plug and join it on to the blue/red wire

Can anyone confirm this works?

I think I need to try another odometer before cutting any wires.

Just saw this in another thread as a possible fix:

On the back of the odo plug you should see a blue/red wire and a pink wire, they are next to each other next to a brown wire in a row of three. Cut the pink wire about an inch from the plug and join it on to the blue/red wire

Can anyone confirm this works?

I think I need to try another odometer before cutting any wires.

This method corrected my problem. :mobile:

imi,

The warning triangle and the engine management light stay on till the ignition is turned off, when the car is started again the lights are off.

I have noticed the warning triangle and engine light only come on at higher speeds yet the flashing o/d seems to occur just driving round at lower speeds

I'm not too confident about cutting/joining wires, can anyone explain what that is actually doing?

• 3 months later...
Guest TTkeith
imi,

The warning triangle and the engine management light stay on till the ignition is turned off, when the car is started again the lights are off.

I have noticed the warning triangle and engine light only come on at higher speeds yet the flashing o/d seems to occur just driving round at lower speeds

I'm not too confident about cutting/joining wires, can anyone explain what that is actually doing?

Have you managed to sort this mate, Im having excatly the same problems.

Keith.

i have a similar problem....used the paperclip method to read the diagnostics at the weekend and found code 42. my red triangle light on the rev counter is on ALL the time, doesnt reset after turning the ignition off or anything like that...but the orange engine shaped light on the right hand side never comes on (called the MIL light if i remember correctly?)

my car has been converted to MPH (although i suspect it is not reading the speed very acurately) but is still limited to 112mph (shows 135mph with dodgy speedo converter!)

any advice/help? Ta!

• 15 years later...