The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fitting Exhaust Wrap.

Mike M

Gonna be fitting out the whole stainless tubular header system on my beetle with exhaust wrap but I cant say that i'm looking forward to it. I've bought 2 rolls of 2" 5 meter stuff and planning on using copper wire as ties.

Anyone have any hints & tips?? Or is it just one of those PITA jobs unless its a straight bit of pipe.:D

Gonna be fitting out the whole stainless tubular header system on my beetle with exhaust wrap but I cant say that i'm looking forward to it. I've bought 2 rolls of 2" 5 meter stuff and planning on using copper wire as ties.

Anyone have any hints & tips?? Or is it just one of those PITA jobs unless its a straight bit of pipe.:D

Personally I used plastic ties to start with as you can tie them tighter than the metal ones. Try and get the wrap as tight as you can, and like Rich said, if you can try and over lap it as much as possible. I also found it a good idea to hold the wrap in place with a plastic tie every so often so you can be sure that the wrap is as tight as possible:

That's a good plan for sure with the plastic tie wraps cheers. Much appreciated BTW the offer of the metal ties thank you very much:). I'm going to see how things go with the copper wire first its 1.5mm single stranded stuff good for twisting and I have loads of it. The other reason was the wrap supplier didnt sell stainless ties and I'm in a big hurry to get this done before I head back offshore Wed. Need this on to run in the cam and then I can tune up the motor.

Cheers

Mike

That's a good plan for sure with the plastic tie wraps cheers. Much appreciated BTW the offer of the metal ties thank you very much:). I'm going to see how things go with the copper wire first its 1.5mm single stranded stuff good for twisting and I have loads of it. The other reason was the wrap supplier didnt sell stainless ties and I'm in a big hurry to get this done before I head back offshore Wed. Need this on to run in the cam and then I can tune up the motor.

Cheers

Mike

Let me know Mike as I can get them sent first class to you :)

Best of luck, btw I never wetted the wrap.

Here's my efforts for today. Not the neatest job in the world but its still going to stop the paint from stripping off on the rear valence and remove alot of heat from the engine bay.

Need to order up one more roll to finish off but i'm glad most of its on now, horrible micro fibres all over the place like old loft insulation.

The cable ties worked a treat and made life much easier. Another thing i'd say is if working in a tight spot dont try and use the full roll at once as it becomes a right PITA feeding each length through a gap and causes much more of the horrible fibres to break loose.

Cheers

Mike

For thinner parts on a manifold would it be safe to cut a 2" wrap down the middle to create 1"?

I'll be honest and say I dont think so as just cutting it across the way makes it fray out into a mess unless you put some masking tape around then make the cut through that. I would either just overlap more or buy both sizes.

Demon tweeks have a lot of sizes and a few colour options too. The stuff I bought came from Scoobyparts.com just under £35 delivered for the two rolls which I thought was a pretty good price.

i know this may be a bit late but soaking it in water first (give it a good hour in a bucket) helps as it all tightens up really well as it drys, dont scrimp on the wire as i have had stuff come off at speed, try to wrap the wire in the opposite direction to the wrap i used stainless mig welding wire (1 mm), overlap the wrap in the opposite direction to the way the car travels so the wind cant get under it (start from the back and go forward), i sprayed mine with heat resistant silver paint (plenty of colours at Halfords) when complete

i know this may be a bit late but soaking it in water first (give it a good hour in a bucket) helps as it all tightens up really well as it drys, dont scrimp on the wire as i have had stuff come off at speed, try to wrap the wire in the opposite direction to the wrap i used stainless mig welding wire (1 mm), overlap the wrap in the opposite direction to the way the car travels so the wind cant get under it (start from the back and go forward), i sprayed mine with heat resistant silver paint (plenty of colours at Halfords) when complete

No no never too late still good advice as the cars not on the road yet anyway. I'd bet soaking kept the amount of fibres floating about down.