The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How to; remove OEM skirts and spats

Supra Gaz

I am removing my OEM skirts and spats as fitted by Mr T 18 years ago! I searched the subject and didn't find a how to so here is one

Tools you will need;

10mm socket set

Cross head screwdriver

Scalpel

Car jack

Patience

Alcohol ;) I chose Kopparberg for its refreshing taste

Food - i went with spicy chicken and cheese on white, nice.

I started by jacking the car up to get a good look at where all the bolts holding the skirts on were.

The skirts are held on with eight 10mm bolts running the length of the skirts underneath, mine were quite rusted but came off by applying plenty of upwards force while turning them.

The skirts also have three screws in the front and rear arches also.

The section of the skirts with the rear brake cooling duct has two clips holding them in place.

On the top of the skirts where they meet the door are some super sticky tabs.

Simply undo the lot and then carefully pull the skirt off.

Moving onto the spats

These are held on with three screw inside the arch, they come off with the cross head screwdriver, then you have to wrestle the massive blobs of tiger seal and more of the super tabs to get it off, this is where the scalpel came in handy, cutting the putty as i came to it to keep the spats in shape.

Result, one range rover esq Supra, sorry it needs a clean.

If you have fiberglass spats on i suspect they would crack when removing them. One side took me an hour and a half as i was interrupted by the misses every five to six minutes, the whole car could be done in a couple of hours.

Hope it helps.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...