The mkiv Supra Owners Club

targa top conversion

Guest hamps_w

Guest hamps_w

Can anyone offer any help or information on converting a non targe supra to a targa top.

What are the chassis differences beween the two?

Could the non targa take the change without further chassis stregthening?

HAs it been done before?

Thanks in advance

Guest hamps_w

that would be a good option, one that i completely agree with. But unfortunalty he has already spent a good 10-15k on the car and now he has decided he wants a targa. So it not reall feasable to sell and start again

Guest hamps_w

we were thinking the same thing, but it would defy the point/look of having the aero top.

He thinks that chassis could take this change but im not so sure. Where could i find out what the physical differences were in the chassis from factory for the 2 models?

Guest hamps_w
Originally posted by Jake

it's more feasable than doing all the work to make it into an aerotop.

Forget it mate, it's just not practical.

Ahhh. You say that like it is possible but with lots of work?

Hes not concerned about the amoutn of work it will take as thats what he thrives on (strange lad!)

But has anyone ever donr a full conversion to the point that you wouldnt know that it was originally a hardtop?

there is chassis strengthening in the aero, exactly where or how that is implemented will b difficult to find out. the car is stilll flexy with the roof off. id hate to think what an unstrengthened one would b like.

i just wouldnt do it, far too costly to do correctly and probably impossible to sell.

just roll the windows right down :)

lust's idea is a good solution, it would have to b a proper welded cage, again expensive.

Guest hamps_w

more than a PITA. Its Dupont absolute purpleen which comes in at a lovely £500 per litre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But who am i to judge, i just said i would find out the info for him.

I think its nice as it it and he should leave it alone.

Guest hamps_w

yes on top of what he paid for the car.

He did do EVERYTHING himself so he has saved alot of money. But he has done all the insides aswell. Its quite impressive in terms of work even if its not you cup of tea its something that has to be appreciated i think.

It's a perfectly nice car as it is (I wouldn't drive it, but I can appreciate the hard work and what he's done).

Shame that he's got to the end before realising he wanted an Aerotop though :(

In short, it's not completely impossible to convert it, but he needs to take into account...

Actually cutting the roof up. That's gonna take some balls with that paint job.

How is he planning to actually do the roof? Is he gonna get hold of a spare aerotop panel or make one out of the roof bit he's cut out?

If he goes for the former, he'll need to arrange all the fittings exactly as per an aerotop. Tricky.

If he goes for the latter, making an aerotop roof that won't leak is quite a major undertaking in itself I would guess. Simply making the roof without worrying about leaks would be quite a task, I suspect.

It's gonna flex pretty bad without the extra strengthening, so he'll need to add some. But (it would appear) no one is quite sure where or what this is, so gonna take quite some research to find out....

...and then you need to actually make the strengthening bits and weld them on. Cost?

Roll cage? It's gonna look pants as it won't be an aerotop, it'll be an open top with two bars running across where the top of the windows would be. Face it... that will look crap.

Mighty big touch up job when he's finished. Possibly a complete respray of the entire roof required...? (dunno much about paint).

So... it's not impossible, but these are just some of the things he needs to take into account, and when you look at that initial list you have to wonder if it's really worth the effort just to arrive at a car that you can take the roof off.

Alternatively, drive the car around as it is for a year or two, by then he'll be bored of it, so then get a proper Aerotop and start a new project. Surely that has to be the sensible option?

I'm with Dave - do your best to talk him out of it. Not worth all that hassle for something that in all probability is gonna lower the value of the car and could ruin the handling, all to be able to take the roof off, which (dons flameproof jacket) actually looks crap on the Supra to me (personal opinion!) - I think it completely spoils the lines of the car.

One interesting point here - this mysterious strengthening of the aerotop; everyone's happy to quote it (since it seems inevitable that it was done), but not a single person seems to know what Toyota did (but everyone's sure it would be impossible to imitate). Weird dat. I find it unlikely that Toyota would have spent vast amounts of money redesigning major bodyparts for what must have been a very limited production run of cars. The fact aerotop owners say the car is notably wobblier with the roof panels off seems to reinforce that.

:looney:

Guest hamps_w

Agreed!

Then as his friend i feel it my solemn duty to talk him out of it.

Thankyou all very much with your help.

I may possibly speak to you all again in 2 years time (after the purchase of one overpriced property!:eek: )

Depending upon if i go for Rx7 or Supra.

Once again thankyou all!:thumbs:

There simply has to be strengthening done to the chassis. If you were to remove half the roof and hit a tree at any kind of actual speed the rear end would wrap itself over the car around the front end in very short order, crushing anybody inside.

Maybe fabricating a full racing rollcage etc would help, but .. there's frankly no way in hell it would pass ANY kind of roadworthyness testing, much less would anybody ever buy it off him. You can't just cut out the roof, it provides a MASSIVE amount of structural integrity to a car.

It would be a death trap on wheels. Talk him out of it.

-p

I've read quite a few things now that say the reason Toyota stopped making the aerotop so early was because it was found to be structurally unsafe to begin with..

I'm pretty sure they're a different chassis design, but I'm not sure where to get this information.

Anybody with a part numbers CD? Is there a number for the chassis etc?

-p