The mkiv Supra Owners Club

DIY alloy wheel polishing

Cable

I've bought myself a second hand set of BBS LM's and they have some salt corrosion on the outer lips. I was wondering if anybody has ever polished up some wheels, advice on how to go about it and what bits of kit I would need to do so? They're aren't damaged in any way and I've got another 4 weeks before my car arrives so thought I might have a go myself rather than pay somebody £60 a wheel to do them.

Neil

get some fine grit 'Wet n Dry' and some metal polish like autosol. A polishing mop kit than can be attached to a power drill and some soap for polishing and off you go.

Are they painted or laquered, you might want to check this before you start :)

I think they're laquered mate. I'm assuming this will mean it being even more of a git to tidy up? Would it be an idea to split the rim too so I can get all the way round the rim or would I be getting in over my head?

Thanks for the help guys

Neil

It's hard work, i used wet and dry, starting quite course to get the laquer off then working down to the finest grade.

Then use a good metal polish to bring it up to a good shine.

Only problem is that once polished up they need constant polishing to keep them nice or they will start to corrode again.

I will try and do a guide for alloy wheel polishing at some point, once i sort this issue with my own car out ;)

Yes please - need info!! Mine looks like self do - as the dish is chrome and none of the refurb guys will touch it.

Can you also recommend a good way of coating the wheel so it's an easier job to clean later?

Neil - im sure the outher lip isnt laquered. Well thats what BBS told me about my LM's.

Hmmm... From what I can tell it is as there is a tiny area where it seems to have falked off leaving two different levels if you know what I mean?