The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Driver training day review thread

Gaz6002

Following on from this:-

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=85211

I would firstly like to thank Chris (Ark) for suggesting and organising this event. He heard about it following a Scooby day that he attended with his wife Jo and thought it may appeal to us Supra owners. He put the original thread up and after 5 pages of discussion we settled on yesterday, Monday 9th October.

I booked the day off work and arranged to meet Chris and Jo at Winchester services at 7AM. We then picked up squiffy on the m27 and made our way to the airfield. We even managed to pick up a random supra driver on the way who say our convoy and joined in!

When we turned up at the venue and met the other Supra owners, along with 3 Lotus owners from a Lotus forum, an MX5 and a Subaru Legacy running 264bhp at the wheels.

The setting was pretty much a Supra drivers paradise. A huges expanse of runway completely deviod of obstacles and a slightly wet surface :eyebrows:

The first thing we did was slalom, dodging in and out of cones as quickly as possible. Quite hard work in a RWD turbo car in the wet as you can imagine!

Next was the circles, where you are taught how to drift your car around a circle keeping in control(!) and also learn about the different types of skid that you can encounter.

After circles came fast cornering - that does exactly what it says on the tin.

Then it was lunchtime. Que BBQ :)

Then came the chicane, which was HUGE and set up very nicely for the Supras and the Lotus's.

After that the instructors set up a course for us to attack. The course was designed to be an "even playing field" for all the cars attending, so there were hairpin corners, slalom, a big chicane etc. We were taken round with the instructors for a few goes and then let loose on our own. The times were all logged to make it a bit of a competition and considering it was a handling course the Supras did rather well ;)

The thing that struck me most about the whole day was the quality of the instructors. They were top-rate, make no mistake about it. I let Ben, our groups instructor, take my out in my car and show me what it can do. It was quite an experience, lets put it that way!

Everyone that went had a really good time, we had a great group of people and we had a laugh together. I will be first to put my name down for the next one, which hopefully will be on a weekend so we can get some more people to come. Everyone who wasn't there should be gutted!

So thanks again Chris, a great idea mate :)

Sounds (and looked) a great day...

Soo & I very interested in the next one, especially if it's on a weekend.

Now wish I'd not recently sold my Westfield, would have been great to kick some Supe's butts... :p

PS... don't make it too soon as our new one is still at the docks in Japland.. :(

Cheers

G

Here are the best times for all participants in the time attack handling course at the end of the day:-

Mike Dawkins Lotus Elise S1 (Silver) 52.14

Richard Ayre Mazda MX5 (Green) 56.31

Paul Clark Lotus Elise S2 (Blue) 53.18

Phil Reed Lotus Elise S2 (Red) 50.13

Jo Nixon Subaru Imprezza (Blue) 54.54

Gareth Evans Toyota Supra (black) 49.41

William Hang Subaru Legacy (white) 53.02

Ryan Doogan Toyota Supra (silver) 51.24

Mark Chamberlain Toyota Supra (Red) 52.07

Chris Nixon Toyota Supra (Blue/purple) 53.45

Yep, Gaz beat all three Elises, one of whom is an experienced sprint racer! God knows how he managed that, but he wasn't holding back yesterday, let me tell you!!

It's quite an eye-opener to see the pros make your car dance - you drive it every day, but have no idea of what it can really do!!

Guest Kazimodo

hi guys and gals

sounds better than my weekend.

hubby bought me a varadona,real surprise,but then had booked me onto a course with traffic cops.told me it was for about an hour.7 hours later,having come off one bike and dropped the second one was feeling quite miffed,still experience is a good thing!!!!!

think the soop track would be a little kinder

kaz