The mkiv Supra Owners Club

whats the point of the MANU button?? (genuine question)

mathew

Yeah but there are a few things different:

1) when you select "2" it means that it wont go above that so it can still be in first (not manu mode)

2) same with overdrive off, the ECU will still let the car be in first and second.

In summary the MANU mode lets you have complete control of what gear you in without the chance of the auto box chaning up.

Not that I would but hold it there long enough on the redline and it will

Are you sure? do you know that this actually happens? Ive done it by accident in manu mode and its just hit the limiter. If it does go up by its own accord then it must be a fair few seconds into your trashing you car off the limiter!!! Far to long for it to be either healthy and you never wont to get to the limiter anyway

P.s i dont think anyway should actually know the answer to that Ian! total disregard for the supra that test if you know what i mean. To be honest tho i dont think it would ever change up, the whole point of manu is that is what it is, dont think toyota would have built a safety mechanism in during the early 90's

I must admit that for the past 2 weeks when driving I always use the Manu button apart from on straights. TBH now that I am using it all the time I am enjoying the soop even more its much better.

Does continual use of the Manu facility have a bad effect on the car (apart form the obvious redline)

I think manual mode is for people who think they can change gear better/quicker than the autobox that Toyota spent millions on.

That or they really wanted a manual but were a bit cheap like.

Me? I want a quick car with no effort needed in traffic which is where it spend 99.99% of its time.

I think manual mode is for people who think they can change gear better/quicker than the autobox that Toyota spent millions on.

Me? I want a quick car with no effort needed in traffic which is where it spend 99.99% of its time.

Interesting as I find the car is quicker using Manu, even my timed 60 time (stop watch on same stretch of road) is better in manu.

OK well manu mode holds the car in the gear you select ie L 1st, 2 second, D 3rd. It will not change gear at all on the way up the box (it'll happily bounce off the rev limiter all day long). If however you lose speed at the bottom of the box it will select the gear that will keep the car going ie if you stop the car and set off with it in 2 or D it will set off in 1st and then select up when the revs are high enough for the next gear to sustain.

Another thing to remember is it won't drop down if you slot it back too soon. It'll wait until its safe to drop back down. Say you are snotting along into a corner under hard braking you slot it back from D to 2 it will stay in third decelerating on the engine as well as the brakes (like a manual car will) and it will change down to second the instant the computer knows it can do so without hitting the limiter hence giving you the maximum engine braking available (just be aware the back end will kick a bit when it engages the lower gear)

Oh well, there you go then. Were you starting and stopping the clock? While driving? Can't argue with that kind of accuracy.;)

No I had a passenger do that for me, we done about 10 runs of each as I was curious if it made a difference and my average time was 0.3 quicker in Manu mode.

However i have actually used one of those GPS timers that is in my mates scooby and again it was quicker in Manu mode by 0.1, but I guess we cant argue with that accuracy can we :rolleyes:

Interesting as I find the car is quicker using Manu, even my timed 60 time (stop watch on same stretch of road) is better in manu.

To 60 it actually is but after that the map on my car started losing itself power in manu and was perceptively quicker when put back into auto mode.

If you put the lever in second it wont change up to 3rd unless you move it up to D it doesnt matter if you have manual mode on!

The main point of manu is to stop it unwittingly dropping down a gear not going upwards.

No manual mode is for people that want a bit more control over their vehicles in bendy situations or want to drive it a bit harder than normal say in track situations (after all toyota also developed this facility)

I must admit that for the past 2 weeks when driving I always use the Manu button apart from on straights. TBH now that I am using it all the time I am enjoying the soop even more its much better.

Does continual use of the Manu facility have a bad effect on the car (apart form the obvious redline)

It can be very much more involving and hence more fun to drive using manu. I drive mine everywhere in manu now :D

How about we race in the wet?

Why scared you will lose? Just cause you wanna show off with your rltc, WOW very noble and sporting of you.:D

Anyway another thread that has went off topic, the guy had a question and wants opinions not pointless challenges that are going to be one sided unless in the wet.

On with topic.