The mkiv Supra Owners Club

what clutch should i get?

stylieee

ive looked through a few posts on here about clutches but im still not sure what would suit me best. so some recomendations would be usefull...

i've got a uk tt6 and as soon as i get an fcd (and a clutch) ill be going bpu. but its also gonna be a long term project so id like a clutch that could cope with say around 500bhp and isnt gonna need replacing all the time.

also i figure im gonna need a new flywheel as mine is probably shot. so im thinking might as well get a clutch kit including a lightened flywheel.... i know they make a bit of noise but can anyone describe just how loud they are?

i dont mind if its a bit stiffer than stock.

gonna have a price cap of around £1k, but obviously would prefer less :)

so can anyone give me some options? and what theyre like to drive?

how much all that set ya back? and keep me posted on how it drives once you fit it :)

Well i bought it from a user at http://www.supraforums.com

He had it for some time, but never got around to install it.

So he sold it insted...

I bought it for

£785 (including shipping from US to Sweden in 3 days)

£30 - New Bolts from Toyota for flywheel

£107 - All Misc items for the change, such as bearings/rings and stuff.

------

£922

Then a friend of mine is gonna do the work for me..

He works at Toyota as a mechanic and he also owns a Singel Supra :)

Save alot of money on that....

So for the momment the clutch is at my home in the box.

Waiting to get to work in a few days, hehe :eyebrows:

I have an rps clutch just fitted and replace the flywheel with a standard one after allot of people saying they wish they had stayed with the standard Toyota one.

Its great, bit heavier but still drivable every day, grips very hard. I don’t remember spinning the wheels from 3rd to 4th. I stayed away from the paddle

Clutches, instead bought an rps max. Probably over kill, but al least its one less think to worry about if the tuning goes mad.

Think CW does a modified stock one, or speak to Terry S. :)

He does indeed. I was tempted to go for an RPS clutch when mine went but decided to get one of CW's modified stock ones (what magic he does with it I don't know) and standard toyota flywheel. It may just be that I was getting used to a slipping clutch but I think it feels a slightly snappier response than a stock one but doesn't seem any heavier to me (although it may be slightly).

Should easily cope with BPU power levels and possibly beyond (although not if you're doing drag starts on it all the time).