The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Someone pass me a sledgehammer, I need to have a word with my engine.

tonyhawk

Ok, life is officially not fair; my engine goes pop, so I drop it out and repair it; 30 miles later, the oil pressure release valve sticks (on a new pump!), so I pull the front of the engine apart, take it out and sort it. Wonderful I think, my girls all better and ready to go.....no....she's decided to develop a rather worrying knocking noise... :cry:

I know it's nigh-on impossible to convey a noise on a post, but I thought it worth a go, because if I have to rip this thing out again I'll be doing so in a padded workshop, wearing a nice white jacket with extra long sleeves.. :banghead:

The noise was quite hard to locate; it sounded like a cam follower knock as it seemed to be quite high up and it was quite clear, not like a dull big end clunk, but when you try to find it it sounded like it was coming from the entire engine! However when I was close to the floor, I noticed the noise was really loud and clear from underneath. I've got a sneaky suspicion that it's coming from the flywheel?

When you rev the engine there's not just a knocking noise, but a physical knock that you can feel, distinct from the rest of the vibrations; only when you listen under the car, about a third of the way back (gearbox level), you can not only hear the knock, but also a rattle that's most pronounced on the over run.

Now, a while ago, about 20 miles after I re-fitted the engine, I heard a horrible noise coming from the clutch area like someone had dropped 20 washers in there. I stopped the car, and took the inspection plates off the side of the gearbox, but there was nothing in there (nothing loose that is).

I know the flywheel is full of springs and squiggly bits, so is it possible that the flywheel has imploded? Could that be causing the knocking and rattle?

My sanity is riding on this so I would REALLY appreciate some help.... :giveup:

Ok, life is officially not fair; my engine goes pop, so I drop it out and repair it; 30 miles later, the oil pressure release valve sticks (on a new pump!), so I pull the front of the engine apart, take it out and sort it. Wonderful I think, my girls all better and ready to go.....no....she's decided to develop a rather worrying knocking noise... :cry:

I know it's nigh-on impossible to convey a noise on a post, but I thought it worth a go, because if I have to rip this thing out again I'll be doing so in a padded workshop, wearing a nice white jacket with extra long sleeves.. :banghead:

The noise was quite hard to locate; it sounded like a cam follower knock as it seemed to be quite high up and it was quite clear, not like a dull big end clunk, but when you try to find it it sounded like it was coming from the entire engine! However when I was close to the floor, I noticed the noise was really loud and clear from underneath. I've got a sneaky suspicion that it's coming from the flywheel?

When you rev the engine there's not just a knocking noise, but a physical knock that you can feel, distinct from the rest of the vibrations; only when you listen under the car, about a third of the way back (gearbox level), you can not only hear the knock, but also a rattle that's most pronounced on the over run.

Now, a while ago, about 20 miles after I re-fitted the engine, I heard a horrible noise coming from the clutch area like someone had dropped 20 washers in there. I stopped the car, and took the inspection plates off the side of the gearbox, but there was nothing in there (nothing loose that is).

I know the flywheel is full of springs and squiggly bits, so is it possible that the flywheel has imploded? Could that be causing the knocking and rattle?

My sanity is riding on this so I would REALLY appreciate some help.... :giveup:

if so check the tork converter bolts a common prob on rolls royce gm 400 boxes after engine removal...just an idea and i know its not a supe :tumble:

hate to be negative fella but i think i'de be seriously looking at a replacement motor if i were you, with all the trouble you've had something major could well have gone, that tapping that can be felt as you rev really dont sound good and looks like an engine strip down, if you continue to pursue this you could end up throwing good money after bad and still have the car off the road at christmas, best of luck fella keep us informed