The mkiv Supra Owners Club

heater not getting hot enough??

keron

hi guys my heater is basically not getting hot enough even if ive been driving the car for an hour or so? i would say its only about 65% there at the minute and as its getting cold now in the evenings i want some heat. ;)

ive bled the water system through the rad pipes to make sure there is no air in there but still no joy....anyone have any ideas to what it could be?

thank you

Feel the two metal pipes going through the firewall at the back of the engine. They should both be hot (after a drive). If one is cool, you may have a blocked matrix. I did and fortunately managed to remove the blockage by connecting a hose pipe to one of the pipes.

Do a search for matrix should bring up more info.

Matrix could be clogging up.

I have flushed my one twice now and it works well and costs less than a matrix.

connetct two hose pipes up to the matrix, one inlet side and one outlet side..... Just at the back of the rocker cover on the fire-wall. Poor warm NOT boiling water into one pipe, then add some kettle de-scaler and leave for 5 mins, then connect one pipe to a tap and flush out completely. Then do the same with rad-flush. Flush with clean water once more then some mr muscle drain and sink unblocker. If you look at what comes out in a bucket you will be shocked..... It's like panning for gold some of the nuggets of scale that you find. Once it flushes clear, put it all back together and INSTANT HEAT will be yours once again :clap:

Did the same to my friends GT4 and also worked a treat.

Stick Toyota 4-Life in and you wont ever get this problem again.... If you need to top up use only de-ionised water.

The heater on mine gets quite warm, but never what I'd call hot like in other vehicles I've driven. I've always assumed that this was down to the heating system being climate controlled.

Should it get as hot as a none climate controlled system and therefore likely to be caused by a partially blocked heater matrix?

The heater on mine gets quite warm, but never what I'd call hot like in other vehicles I've driven. I've always assumed that this was down to the heating system being climate controlled.

Should it get as hot as a none climate controlled system and therefore likely to be caused by a partially blocked heater matrix?

Feel the pipes, after a drive, should be HOT.

Set to hot, your heaters should cook you if they are working correctly..... I thought my ones were not hot due to the climate control settings / calibration..... do not be fooled, if both pipes are not HOT, you have a blocked Matrix (As the water flow is constant and the climate control simply controls a flap that mixes cool air with the hot air from the Matrix) Unlike many cars that actually control the flow of hot water with a valve in the matrix water feed pipe.

The Matrix from Toyota is £120ish. Fitting it ....... I would not wish that on my worst enemy !!!!!!

Set to hot, your heaters should cook you if they are working correctly.....
Definitely sounds as though mine could be blocked then. In winter when a bit of cooking is sometimes what is required after a spell out in the cold, the warm breeze from the heater isn't overly impressive!

I'll try flushing it out. Thanks.

The Dude had posted pictures here a few months ago, of a Supra he had to change the matrix.

I think only the windscreen and the rear bumper were left in place, everything else had to go. Talking about a nightmare job...

If coolant flushing doesn't fix it, I'd consider wearing thicker clothes, lol...

The Dude had posted pictures here a few months ago, of a Supra he had to change the matrix.

I think only the windscreen and the rear bumper were left in place, everything else had to go. Talking about a nightmare job...

If coolant flushing doesn't fix it, I'd consider wearing thicker clothes, lol...

first time is difficult, then it gets easier :D

I had to change the matrix in my gt4. Feckin hell you would not believe the nightmare. It does include emptying and then obviously re-gassing the air con.

For the GT4, Toyota charge £700 odd. I went to a local garage, and they charged me £1100. :thumbdown

My suggestion is don't try to disconnect the rubber pipes that go into the bulkhead, at the bulkhead. The problem is, if it's the same as the gt4 that is, that the rubber hoses, fit directly onto the heater matrix inlet/outlet pipes, which are made of very thin aluminium. So it's quite easy to split the matrix when trying to pull the hoses off (Remember they've probably not been taken off since they were put on in the factory)

Try attaching your hosepipe, or pressure washer or whatever, to the other end of those tubes.

Hope that helps,

• 3 weeks later...

Both pipes on mine get very hot within a matter of a few minutes of starting from a cold engine.

Could the poor heat output still be down to a partially blocked heater matrix, or, is this more likely the air mixing flap out of adjustment or even something else?