The mkiv Supra Owners Club

FMIC covers VS air flow to intake?

michael

Just a quick one - I have a standard airbox and the Blitz FMIC on my car.

I've fitted the blingy FMIC plate but wondered what impact this has on airflow into the standard intake via the thin scoop that throws air into the side of the airbox?

From what I can see it stops the flow of air to this intake completely meaning that only the scoop fed from the side pod where the SMIC used to be is functional.

Does removal of the SMIC help to increase flow through one input and balance the reduction from the installation of the FMIC plate or should I modify things a little to get air through both?

Has anyone checked the flow inside the airbox with and without an FMIC plate?

Car seems fine.... just wondered really :)

(I reckon the plate needs modifying to allow the aluminium / rubber seal to site lower anyway so thought I might do some more mods while I'm at it)

.. I have a standard airbox and the Blitz FMIC on my car.

I've fitted the blingy FMIC plate but wondered what impact this has on airflow into the standard intake via the thin scoop that throws air into the side of the airbox?

That thin scoop doesn't throw air onto the side of the airbox. This only happens (to a very small degree) when people ditch the airbox and assume that fresh air will be redirected via this duct - wishfull thinking mostly.

The thin scoop is where the engine sucks air from, along with the other one behind the headlight. It's like you're breathing through two straws. If one of the straws is blocked then there is a measurable pressure drop inside the airbox at high revs.

Similar concept to certain S&M practices, oooops wrong forum :p

I have the FMIC plate and the radiator plate so I guess I'm talking about both :)

That thin scoop doesn't throw air onto the side of the airbox

I thought it did?

http://www.megaboost.co.uk/supra/mine/engine/intake-01.JPG

Doesn't it feed that great big hole?

It feeds the hole yes.

The point I was trying to make was that it doesn't throw air in, rather the engine sucks air through it (when the sealed airbox is in place)

There is a difference in airflow behaviour, but yeah, the bottom line is that you want it unblocked of course!

It feeds the hole yes.

The point I was trying to make was that it doesn't throw air in, rather the engine sucks air through it (when the sealed airbox is in place)

There is a difference in airflow behaviour, but yeah, the bottom line is that you want it unblocked of course!

Right I get you now :)

Because I'm a sensible chap :)

• 4 years later...