The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bulb help needed please

neilg

Sorry everyone, i know this topic crops up every now and then.

I have had a search round to see what i can find.

Basically i want someone to tell me im getting the right bulbs

I have some uk headlights, later spec front indicators and side repeaters coming.

Headlights-

main beam 9005 (HB3)

Dipped beam 9006 (HB4)

Sidelight W5W

Front indicators-

indicators W21W

sidelights W5W

side repeaters

W5W

Are those all right? What wattages do i want and whats all this 6000k business?

Im wanting the brightest lights possible, white light, legal. Can someone tell me what im doing?

:thanks:

Sorry everyone, i know this topic crops up every now and then.

I have had a search round to see what i can find.

Basically i want someone to tell me im getting the right bulbs

I have some uk headlights, later spec front indicators and side repeaters coming.

Headlights-

main beam 9005 (HB3)

Dipped beam 9006 (HB4)

Sidelight W5W

Front indicators-

indicators W21W

sidelights W5W

side repeaters

W5W

Are those all right? What wattages do i want and whats all this 6000k business?

Im wanting the brightest lights possible, white light, legal. Can someone tell me what im doing?

:thanks:

The bulbs for the headlights you have stated are correct, if they are UK glass ones. 6000Kelvin refers to the 'colour' of the light, 4300 is white higher than this and the light will be blueish in colour, below it will be yellow. 4300K is the European standard for new HID headlights, it is the whitest and brightest.

See here for full explanation

Sorry can't help with the rest of your questions.

Yup, all those are right. Don't need to worry about wattages, as bulbs bought from someone like Philips will only come in one wattage for all those bulbs. K relates to Kelvin, which basically means the colour of the light - sunlight is something like 4000k. A high K will result in a bluer, but less efficient light - with Xenons, 6000k is generally accepted as being the best compromise between colour and actual light output. With Xenon-look bulbs, they tend to hover around the 4000k mark, which means whiter than standard bulbs, but nowhere near as blue/white as real Xenons. The trouble is that all of these blue-tinted bulbs have been proven to be significantly worse in terms of lighting than premium standard colour bulbs. If you want blue/white, Philips Bluevision are the best but if you want the best light performance, Philips Premium +30% are the best available for our cars.