The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Getting Shot of a Short Shifter

craig85

Since picking up the car, I've always had a disliking for the short shift kit fitted to my V160, particularly the lack of lift up reverse which can make finding 5th and 6th 'interesting' at times!

It was one of the items on the list of fixes, unfortunately the kit proved it's cheap nature at the weekend and this happened:

So rather than just replace this part I'm looking to refresh the whole unit and get it back to OEM. Do I need anything more than the part numbers underlined in this diagram and will this give me lift up reverse again? If there's any other parts I may as well replace whilst I'm under there then let me know and I'll add them to the shopping list.

Edited by craig85 (see edit history)

Thank you.

Funnily enough it's still just about drivable as there is enough left at the bottom to move with the collar, I only noticed when I missed a gear change!

Is this a relatively straight forward job or should I play it safe and take it to a garage?

Thank you.

Funnily enough it's still just about drivable as there is enough left at the bottom to move with the collar, I only noticed when I missed a gear change!

Is this a relatively straight forward job or should I play it safe and take it to a garage?

Easy to do, its just getting under the car thats a pain, also good with 2 people, 1 to drop the new shifter in position while you bolt it up.

• 1 month later...

Just to update, I finally got around to fitting the new parts at the weekend and the difference is incredible!

Not only do I now have lift up reverse which takes away the stress of finding 5th and 6th, but the action is incredibly smooth and feels so much less notchy than before.

To anyone with a cheap short shift kit fitted to their V160 I can't recommend putting in some new OEM parts enough.