The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How do you do a burn out?

Homer

This may be the most pointless post ever but I'm curious how this is done :) While I'm sure this has been asked before, I've searched and can't find the threads...

Last time I did attempted this was in heavy rain in a manual bmw 328i... It didn't work too well! I had found a nice clear area of tarmac and parked up, dipped clutch, put it in 1st, took handbrake off, put right foot on brake pedal, moved right foot to Accelerator and hit 4000rpm, dumped clutch (car starts moving forward quite quickly!) and moved left foot from clutch to brake pedal hitting it fairly hard to bring the car to a stop. RPM’s die and I hit the clutch again to stop it stalling.

Tried again and applied far less brake, and after drifting forward about 10 feet, got it to sit still and spin the rears... woohoo!

Now, that was with a RWD car, in heavy rain and 225 rear tires.... How on earth is it possible to do a burn out in a 350bhp+ RWD car with 265 tires in the dry?

Ah-ha, have heard dude mention this kit before.... I'm not into 1/4mile stuff or anything like that, but get loads of people around here asking me do 'do a burnout'. I normally just shake my head any say the local police might not like it, but would really like to please the crowd from time to time!

How do the line locks work, is it just a flick of the switch so that all braking power goes to the front? What’s the fitting cost like? and will standard j-spec fronts have the power to stop the car creeping forward?

Cheers as always :thumbs:

Err dude, is it just me or do you lot total rely on driver aids. Mate you had it right the first time with your Beamer, give it some revs (3.5k is usually plenty) lift off clutch and press brake pedal with your clutch foot, its called left foot braking, although you have to be comfortable with pushing your left foot on the break pedal, I found I just wanted to stamp on it all the time, well it is my clutch foot, but am slowly over coming this now, and this is a good trick, when your generally driving around, and come to lights/roundabout/junction/queue what ever, take the car out of gear before you roll up to whatever, and use your left foot to brake nice and smoothly up to the car in front, I have been doing this for a while now on and off, and it deffo helps with controlling your left foot, and gets you used to how much pressure you need.

Remember all cars carry something like 70% braking force on the fronts.

My mate does it all the time, but he has a knack with the left foot breaking........

Just seems a waste of £150 plus fitting, when you get the hang of it.......

Originally posted by CJ

Ash, you should have given Dude and lots of the other guys the benefit of your wisdom and they could have then saved money on a line lock kit when they use them on the strip. :)

Damn CJ im missing out on glazing up my rear discs and pads aswell !!!!!

Ash is right you can do it like this but as CJ says its sooo much easier with a line lock and you will NEVER get it wrong and be the laughing stock , plus the burnout will look a lot more controlled and impresive cause the smoke will be instant as there is no rear brake to overcome !!!

Dude:flame Dev