The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2nd turbo doesnt kick in, slightly different to everyone else

Guest George89

Guest George89

Hi

I have been reading everyones threads regarding the 2nd turbo not kicking in or whining but my problem doesn't match everyones problem,

My 1st turbo kicks in normally and runs perfectly. at 4K rpm when the 2nd turbo is ment to kick in it makes a loud whistling sound but the boost stays at 0.5 bar from the 1st turbo. I can't imagine it being blown as it should lose boost completly right? it will hold 0.5 bar all the way to red line.

Any advice?

When turbo was running fine i was running it on stock boost so no overboost, Also would like to add that i have a blitz electronic boost controller but when the turbo was running fine when i first installed the boost controller it controlled the turbos for about 30 minutes after that the boost controller wouldn't do anything, even if i set it on maximum boost it won't boost over stock. I checked all controller piping all looks good.

Any advice?

There's probably one of the big hoses linking turbo outlet to plenum inlet, via the I/C split or not secured properly, the added pressure of the 2nd turbo is opening up the fissure and that may be the whistling sound. You need to check evey hose thoroughly, I have had people tell me they have checked this 6 times, yet within ten minutes I have found the problem. Scratched arms, a good lamp, and proper diligence needed!! :)

Guest George89
Bypass the vsv at the very top of the turbo pipes, i.e. put the vsv straight to pressure not via the little solenoid that sits there. Go for a quick drive and see if you get full boost Sounds like when my solenoid died recently!

I just tried that but i lose boost completely. but i don't hear the whistling sound anymore, i can here the first turbo (maybe the 2nd i aint sure) but no boost low rpm or high rpm.

Edited by George89 (see edit history)

how long have you had the car for?

has it always done this since owned? or has it developed it recently.

when i had my car the second turbo didnt come in as it should, the previous owner had wired the boost controller round wrong.

check that all wires are fitted as they should be, not split, not come undone

Guest George89

I done a NA - TT conversion turbo was working fine, I did over boost a few times and blew the 2nd turbo so i changed it then 4 weeks later whilst i was boosting around on stock boost all of a sudden 2nd turbo stopped kicking in and replace with whistling sound but it doesn't lose the boost from the 1st turbo. When it was blown all boost would drop at 4K RPM when the 2nd turbo comes online.

The actuator above the 2nd turbo looks like its slightly open, about 3mm open. Would that cause it not too kick in?