The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is it possible to change the gearing ratio of NA diff?

DaveD

I have a NA diff with factory LSD (A01B).

All I really want is 3.26 gearing ratio, the 4.083 is too tall for me. I have a swapped 2JZ-GTE 6-speed.

I was thinking if its possible to put a 3.26 ring gear in the NA diff?

I have a Lexus GS400 open differential I am waiting to do something with.

The high gearing is very annoying for a street car. The top end is also 140mph with this ratio.

I will be going single turbo soon so the 3.26 gear ratio will be perfect.

If I can't do that... Another option would be if I could possibley put the LSD from the NA into the GS400?

if I want to swap in the GS400 differential Is there anything else needed to complete this swap? such as the axles? or..?

thanks in advance! cheers.

I'm unsure as to whether the subframes are the same so don't know if you could drop an NA LSD into the GS.

Edit: actually, I cant make out whether you have a gs400 or a supra????

Okay let me clear some things up.

My Supra is originally N/A. It still has the original rear end which is A01B. my Supra has the 2JZ-GTE swap with 6-speed.

I would like the same gear ratio like a Supra RZ (3.26).

I have purchased a Lexus GS400 open differential pumkin. So I would like to use the ring gear from the GS400 differential and put it in my diff.

OR if that does not work I can put my Supra's Torsen LSD into the GS400 differential.

So I'm making this thread to find out if these options would be work ^

And maybe I worded it wrong but what I meant is just that the 4.083 gear ratio is very short! it practically has no first gear.

thanks in advance! cheers.

Edited by DaveD (see edit history)

Yes, as long as you have two a small case diff's, the crown-wheel and pinions are interchangeable :) I have done it.

I have been reading somethings about 200mm vs 220mm.

Apparantley the N/A and Auto TT are 200mm, 220mm was only for 1993 - 1996 TT 6speed...

But if I swap in the ring gear into my N/A diff, and it has the 3.26 gear ratio. Would it make it pretty much the same performance and so on as a reguar TT LSD diff?

besides the ring gear there isn't much inside that makes any difference?

and according to this It can be done :), just found it - http://94supraturbos.synthasite.com/gs400.php

Just buy a good diff from a J-spec TT 6 speed, pre-facelift or facelift, I don't think it matters.

It'll certainly be easier and probably cheaper in the long run. There are single use only components & several other parts that may need to be purchased once a diff has been dismantled in order for it to work properly when reassembled with a different crownwheel & pinion.

You should also fit the extra TT diff mount to the NA subframe that the NA diff doesn't use.

Thanks for all the help.

but I was able to find a 1998 GS400 differential from Lexus. It is a direct swap into a N/A with no modifications. I already have LSD, which will drop right into the GS400.

A lot of the guys in the States take this route and seems like people have no problem.

Mr T. charges the Yanks around half of the prices you will have to pay for components and rebuilding a diff is not a job for the feint hearted.

To liquidate the diffs you have and use that to buy the diff you want is the best way forwards, unless you enjoy the technical challenge.

I wont be the one rebuilding it I'm getting a mechanic friend of mine to do this job.

there is a big thread over on US forum, the LSD is a direct swap into the GS400 diff. Many people have done it and its a straight swap. So I don't see why I should have a problem.

but I understand what you mean its just better to get a Supra one, I was offered $850 USD for one. But when I use the Supra diff I may need to change the axles.