The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Overboost!

Evil_Nuts

Hi guys, I've got major overboost on 2nd Turbo since I fitted a replacement Boost Control Solenoid, its a Greddy Profec Spec B, i'm pretty sure its not a set up issue, I'm gonna make sure I've put my restrictor ring back in after i rebuilt it after fitting head gasket, the car is BPU with no cats......would the position of the RR effect this?? I wouldn't think it would. I can drive on both turbos if i don't apply wide open throttle but as soon as i open the gods of war (full throttle) i watch the gauge and it alarms to tell me its going over 1.2, even on low boost setting. If I disconnect the controller from the turbo, i have normal standard boost...........HELP PLEASE!

Cheers

Mr Nuts!

So it's a J-spec Supra? With the boost controller disconnected what is the 'normal standard boost' reading you are seeing?

If connecting the boost controller is causing it to overboost then it is either the setup - have you got the 'Gain' set too high? - it is wrongly installed, the wastegate is not opening or there is perhaps a leak somewhere.

Yeah, ive checked the solenoid, using t'internet and what not....when its not fitted I'm getting around 0.8 boost.....cant find a leak anywhere, wouldn't that cause a lack of boost.......maybe i need to try a new solenoid and get it set up right.....checked the restrictor ring and its defo there...

If its set an nothing it should be the same as with it not connected which you get stock boost correct? Are you 100% sure its connected correctly?

Well it was as same as the old one connected, and i even swopped the pipes over when it originally started overboosting....then after that didn't cure it I came on here and searched for the correct fitment and obviously made sure mine was the same....I think what i need to do, is remove it, make sure I'm getting normal (bout 0.8 boost) again to to make sure. .....either way....i want it sorted as my car is quickly becoming my obsession!

You should be seeing the same boost with it turned off as when you have it disconnected, if you aren't that would tell me you have connected it up wrong. It's very easy to do as the 2 connections you can get wrong are next to each other.

Thanks Scott....I'll double check it again.....it was my first thought but I have (well thought I had) thorougly checked them. I 'll recheck again......maybe I'm being yellow bus special!

Thanks Scott....I'll double check it again.....it was my first thought but I have (well thought I had) thorougly checked them. I 'll recheck again......maybe I'm being yellow bus special!

Just FYI, I don't mean you have the vac lines the wrong way round on the solenoid, I mean you may be using the wrong vac line. The one you want to connect to the solenoid is on top of the actuator on the first turbo pointing upwards, it is very easy to have it mixed up with the one slightly below it as the 1st one is hard to see.

You can see it clearly here, they get easily mixed up all the time. You should be coming off the upper one.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=13947&d=1112559170

I have a port from my solenoid going to both the actuator and the under it....from the info i have this appears correct......i think I'm being thick here arn't I?

I have a port from my solenoid going to both the actuator and the under it....from the info i have this appears correct......i think I'm being thick here arn't I?

That's the problem then bud.

You see the top pipe on the actuator, that goes to the turbo. You want to put the solenoid in between the actuator and the turbo. Basically where that pipe leads to is on the turbo housing, you want a vac line from the turbo housing to the "in" port of your solenoid, you then want a vac line from the upper actuator port to the "Out" port of your solenoid. The one in the centre is just a regulator of sorts, to keep it closed on low boost. I think once you plumb in a boost controller you can just get rid of that particular setup by blocking off the pipe.

Are you sure you have it connected the way I am saying? The reason I ask is from your above quote you have it connected incorrectly. You shouldn't have it connected to the 2 ports you can see in the picture I posted, you should have it connected between the top one and the one on the turbo that you CAN'T see. The one under it goes to nothing once you are finished, you can leave it in or block it off.