The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Increase in suspenion ride hieght with new insulators?

JimC

Guys,

I'm running CW suspension and recently bought some brand new rear rubber insulators (rubber gators that protect the piston of the damper on shock absorber). I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what effect this will have on the ride height, if any. I've been mulling over it in my head and wondered whether it would raise the ride height slightly?:confused:

Cheers

Jim

Im not totally sure...I just wondered if the old insulators were worn and old, would the brand new ones increase the ride hieght given the possible degredation in rubber plascticity of the old ones? It's not something I'm saying will happen, I just started thinking about it last night as I'm going to be fitting them tonight.

Surely being a gator and rubber as you described would mean they are flexible and soft, therefore unable to support any weight.

As it sits between the spring and top mount could it raise things a bit when new if it was stiff enough? My old ones were "squeezed out" a fair bit but the new ones I fitted (for now) have held their shape a bit better and look slightly thicker once installed...

As it sits between the spring and top mount could it raise things a bit when new if it was stiff enough? My old ones were "squeezed out" a fair bit but the new ones I fitted (for now) have held their shape a bit better and look slightly thicker once installed...

Thats my thinking.

I was thinking of it like an o-ring. Over time the o-ring may take on a 'set' due to pressure and there is an obvious difference in section versus a new o-ring. As dandan states, against an old boot, would the new one hold it's initial shape slightly better and lift the ride height?

Any excuse to post a pic and show my photo editing skillz :D

Insulator shown by yellow arrow (Not for your benefit Jim and Wes, but it's not immediately obvious to everyone that this is the insulator.)

To be fair, all the cars I have seen with new stock based suspension fitted do take some time to settle down, my CW stuff settled more and more over a couple of hundred miles. Jurgen's car for Suprafan was high initially as well wasn't it?

How about this Jim....

Measure the ride height as it is, fit the new bits, drive a few miles, re-measure the height and then let us know if it changed :D

As the gaiter is one one piece with the noise insulator the top coil sits on then a new one may give a minutely higher ride height, but I doubt it would be noticeable.

My springs do not sag within weeks :)

The usual cause for the ride height to "settle" is pre-load in the wishbone bushes being eased over time. Without a flat floor ramp it's all but impossible to re-torque the bush through bolts without any bush pre-load, so people see the suspension height drop and think it's the springs settling. A decent race spring would be condemned if its design loaded height changed by even 1 mm over a season.

dandan: You look to have made a nice job of those height adjusters!