The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cleaned headlights - good & bad

Grazer

I cleaned my headlights last week using a combination of mkiv.com and mkivsupra.net instructions! They came up really well. I used Plexus Plastic Cleaner and Novus Scratch Remover. Both were delivered very quickly.

Before:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gcsimpson/2004_06_lightsb4_web.jpg

After:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gcsimpson/2004_06_lightsafter_web.jpg

I replaced the bulbs with Philips clear vision bulbs and the difference is amazing. Unfortunately I keep getting flashed as other drivers think I have full beam on!

The bad bit is I have developed condensation in one of the lights. Has anyone else had this problem? I will obviously need to take the light out again and add some more sealant. Any advice on what sealant to use & how much?

Yes,

Dont add more sealant though - I tried it 4 times and it made not a blind bit of difference.

Get it back in the oven - scoop ALL the old sealant off - its HORRIBLE stuff, you may have to oven it a couple of times to get it all out.

Go down to a DIY store and buy some methoxymethylethyl acetate (sealocrete all weather sealant).

Re-seal it.

Wear rubber gloves!!!!! I did mine 2 or 3 months ago and still have some on my arm. Even tried burning it off!

Originally posted by Jake

but don't go to B&Q for it, They don't sell it

Really? thats a bit shit innit - it's a pretty standard piece of kit when doing drainpipes and exteriour wall holes and stuff.

Nothing surprises me about B & Q anymore though.

Grazer,

They do look very good indeed, well done.

Did you order yours from your links above?

Mine still look nice and shiney but because i'm a num nut i scratched them a bit with a really old well worn out washing up spange type thing:devil: :stupid:

i dont know weather to get Novus 2 Fine Scratch remover as the scratches arnt too bad, although noticable.

How did you find it?

Regards

Stephen V

I ordered them from those links - very prompt delivery.

I used the novus 2 first and it looked terrible initially - i thought i had buggered it up - but i persevered and they came out really well after buffing and novus 1.

I also used an old head on an electric toothbrush which I found essential for the corners and the writing on the inside in which pockets of polish got stuck! Not that I'm sad......

• 4 months later...