The mkiv Supra Owners Club

how to remove PPS ECU (PowerSteering)

JODY T

Ive got a problem with my Powersteering, There are no leaks etc and the pump seems to be working so I thought ide check out the Electronic side...

I have removed the bottom glove box and found where the PPS ECU is, its to the left of the glovebox behind the dash itself..

My question is how do i remove it, i can only just feel the top of it and the plug, I have no idea how its supported etc, Ive pulled it a bit etc and it doesnt budge..

Any ideas?

Edited by JODY T (see edit history)

okay ive just removed it, it is fitted to the dash via a little bracket with an 8mm bolt holding it.. Looking at the bracket if you hold the ecu and can pull it downwards (in the same angle as it is sitting it should pop off the bracket..

I removed the bolt, I had to use a 8mm socket and a small ratchet with a universal joint as its at a bit of an angle.. I did this through the bottom glove box.

Ill take a pic of the ecu and bracket later to give anyone else with this problem a little heads up but i cant give you a pic of the location as its too hard to get a camera there..

THis will help you locate it though : http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=11797&d=1107119600

Its P4 on the diagram.

Update: just swapped out the pps ecu for a known good one and the steering was the same..

I then removed the ecu and tested without it atall.. The steering was the same. Gonna check the solenoid voltage etc tomorrow, will update tomorrow.