The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headlight cleaning questions

Grazer

I am going to attempt to clean my headlights as per the mkiv.com instructions (http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/headlights/index.html). I've got a couple of questions for anyone who has done this:

1 - Buffing

Can this be done using a power drill with buffing attachment (one with gears i.e. lower rpm if required) or is it safer to do by hand

2 - Wetsand using 2000grit paper

What does this mean!!

3 - Using silicone sealant at the end

The mkiv.com article suggests adding sealant at the end but I've heard that this may not be necessary - what's generally done

4 - Delining

From what I've read this is a bit of a nightmare, but I can't find any detailed instructions - anyone know of any

Cheers :thumbs:

Originally posted by Grazer

I am going to attempt to clean my headlights as per the mkiv.com instructions (http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/headlights/index.html). I've got a couple of questions for anyone who has done this:

1 - Buffing

Can this be done using a power drill with buffing attachment (one with gears i.e. lower rpm if required) or is it safer to do by hand

2 - Wetsand using 2000grit paper

What does this mean!!

The mkiv.com article suggests adding sealant at the end but I've heard that this may not be necessary - what's generally done

4 - Delining

From what I've read this is a bit of a nightmare, but I can't find any detailed instructions - anyone know of any

Cheers :thumbs:

1) I'd buff by hand. Much more controllable.

2) All abrasive paper is graded with a number. The higher the number the finer the grit. Go to Halfrauds, buy some 2000 grit (very fine) and wet it with a mixture of water and washing up liquid (make sure you get paper suitable for wet use). Wet sand away!

3) I didn't need to apply any more sealant when I did mine.

4) No idea.

Hope this helps (apart from number 4!)

I did mine last week, sprayed the insides black at the same time.

Like Darren said, buff it by hand. It takes longer, but you can get into all the corners and keep an eye on what your doing easier.

I used Turtlewax Scratch Remover, Brasso and Novus Plastic Cleaners 1,2 & 3.

My local Halfrauds only had down to 1200 grit, 2000 is harder to find. I didn't use wet & dry in the end.

The insides are a bit of a PITA to clean because of all the ridges and lines on the lens. The outsides are easy.

I didn't bother with the silicone, the clips pull the whole thing together tight enough.

Hiya

I have a spare light which I plan to make look as "new" as my drivers side one - (looks a bit wierd one new and one cloudy I can assure you)

I bought some plastic cleaner from the MX5 parts site which is desigend for teh rear screens (does teh same thing as Novus cleaner) - however I would like to get hold of the Novus products. Where did you get them from? As you all know Halfords is useless for this kind of stuff!

• 8 months later...

Grazer

Get some Fraecla if you can the compund you need is G3..and put some on a damp cloth.rub in and then poilsh with something like autoglym, and the lights will be nice and new look.

Not sure about taking the line compeltly off.if your not sure about doing the light polishing thing.pm me a telphone number and i'll pop over and do the lights for you m8.

Andy

Np Grazer

if you get stuck gimie a shout m8.

Oh and i wouldnt do it with a drill if you haven't done anything like this before.use your hand always keeping it as flat as possible to the surface.

and make sure you use a fine wet&dry paprer 1500..and plenty of soapy water.then use your rubbing compound or fraecla to bring the plastic back up and something to finish the job off.

Andy

Np Grazer

if you get stuck gimie a shout m8.

Oh and i wouldnt do it with a drill if you haven't done anything like this before.use your hand always keeping it as flat as possible to the surface.

and make sure you use a fine wet&dry paprer 1500..and plenty of soapy water.then use your rubbing compound or fraecla to bring the plastic back up and something to finish the job off.

Andy

Is this the way for delining?

yes, all the pattern and lines inside the lens.

There actually just the facelift's there, I saved the pic and zoomed in and the lines are still there, I had a search on supraforums for delining and it brought up a few threads about this, I might give it a go on mine this weekend.

• 6 months later...

Then next week you can take them all apart again when they fill with condensation cos they haven't sealed properly....

Oh Bugger, that was me!!! :banghead:

This time i went to the local windscreen place and bought some of that black stuff they use for bonding in windscreens - only cost a tenner.

Waiting for the next time it rains now to see the results.