The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Starting (non-starting!) problem

Elliot

I've had a service today and yesterday, and the car has been returned to me this afternoon. I've just got in a few minutes ago to move it round the back and - wahey - it wont start!

When I put the key in the ignition and turn it, there's a clicking sound. All the lights are lit up. I'm guessing the battery is flat :(

One of the jobs they did was replacing the 'alternator belt' so I'm guessing it's something to do with this. Anyone know how this could have messed things up? I've never had a problem with the battery before, so don't have much of a clue.

I'm tempted to try and jump start it, but I think I remember horror stories about resetting the ECU etc! I have a Clifford 600 alarm on there. Luckily BlackJax anti-hijacking has been disbled.

Any ideas anyone? Where shall I begin!!?

I'm supposed to be driving to Swindon at 7am in the morning, but it's looking increasingly unlikely! I don't want to jump it, and get there and the battery be flat again if it is the belt!

Hmm, I spend £1040 at a garage and can't drive my car the next day - does this cheese anyone else off!?

Sorry, the invoice was £1040 - I got charged £1047 for some reason - guess I'll find out tomorrow.:mad:

I had the RAC out this morning to jump it. He couldn't find any problems with the alternator etc so reckons they probably ran it dead at the garage (stereo or lights on with the doors open) then jump started it. The drive to my house is only around 10 minutes so it might not have charged the battery enough.

Anyway, after running it for half hour I went to the garage and when filling up noticed my fog lights were on!! The little alarm goes off when you open the door if you've left your normal lights on, but not the fog lights.

I'm putting it down to the driver (or mechanic) flicking the switch by accident and then not realising the fog lights were on when he got out the car (no buzzer) as it was sunny yesterday he wouldn't have seen.

Hopefully that's the end of it now! :)

The service was £215, the rest is made up of 2 rear tyres (£170 each!!:( ) I was expecting those, but wasn't expecting...

...front brake discs and pads, and alternator belt.

With VAT and labour was £1040. Gutted! :)